Coronavirus COVID-19 (2019-nCoV) Thread - 2020 Breaking News

Don’t really know the in and outs of that but at least a fair chunk are Canadian as another complication.

Sure but “several hundred thousand” isn’t going to be a very accurate estimate. I’m not sure I understand who dropped the ball here: Florida reporting their needs or the Feds on the distribution side.

At this point, all we have is the allegation by xanthous’s sister that the vaccine allocation was based exclusively on resident population, so it’s possible that that particular ball was not dropped. However, this being Florida the default assumption is that is was them.:wink:

Whatever the case, it illustrates problems with not having any real national coordination regarding the pandemic, and leaving states to their own devices.

In the US, 3.13M vaccines have been administered as of 12/31/20. Over 10M in the world have been administered.

From the Bloomberg Tracker

I thought Pox Americana was fine.

The guy who left out the vaccines did it with the intention of spoiling them. He left them out overnight, put them back, then took them out again the next night.
He’s a pharmacist, btw. And he’s now in jail.
https://time.com/5925648/wisconsin-employee-fires-spoiling-covid-19-vaccine

According to reports, they used the supply to vaccinate 60 people on Saturday believing that the supply had only been out since Friday night (it can sit out for 12 hours and still be effective) and unaware that the pharmacist had previously taken out the vaccines on Christmas Eve. Those vaccinations now have to be presumed worthless.

What a fucker.

Boy, that sure is an improvement over our Canadian health care system.

Yup. The most vulnerable people. Camped out together, waiting. 'Murica. Florida 'Murica God Dammit! Which is weird, because to hear their Governor tell it, coronavirus is not a problem in Florida.

Denial ain’t just a river in Egypt, as Stuart Smalley used to say.

The so-far-disastrous U.S. vaccine rollout is single-payer. I don’t think it is any kind of a fair trial for single payer, but single payer it is, as well as being theoretically universal (even though rollout to all will take years at anything close to this rate).

The way the feds have left distribution and injection to the states really has nothing to do with single payer healthcare. More like hot potato healthcare. Even more like Curly Howard Woo-woo-woo-woo healthcare.

…the US doesn’t need single-payer: it needs universal healthcare. Your observation is irrelevant, if you want me to be more specific about why it is irrelevant I’d be happy to tell you in another, more appropriate thread if you care to open one.

This is kind of a strange way to describe what’s happening, as though it’s a failure of a system that we don’t have. This is crisis that requires a universal response, and we don’t have a universal healthcare infrastructure. That’s why it’s a clusterfuck.

83,812,748 total cases
1,825,867 dead
59,325,982 recovered

In the US:

20,445,654 total cases
354,215 dead
12,125,806 recovered

Yesterday’s numbers for comparison:

I dunno. Sounds reasonable to me.

Yesterday the senior management at the Royal London Hospital sent an email to its staff saying that

“We are now in disaster medicine mode. We are no longer providing high standard critical care, because we cannot.”

I wonder how long it will be before other hospitals in London and across the UK have to make the same decision. I wonder how long it will be before hospitals here do, also.

Soon. California is at the brink. I doubt they are alone.

Yeah. I’ve heard that multiple hospitals in LA are on divert and that most are having trouble getting O2 and other medical supplies. I think there’s a shortage of ventilators and the trained staff to operate them, too.

A couple of days ago, I heard someone report that their aunt had to be LifeFlighted from Alabama to Florida for COVID treatment because there wasn’t a single COVID bed available in Alabama OR in Georgia. (Wish I could find that again.)

Could be. However psychosis doesn’t typically lead to violence. This sounds more like either a delirium or aggression due to withdrawal or something. That or an adverse reaction to tranquilizers, which can lead to severe agitation. And maybe he was simply at the end of his tether, no madness involved.
The cases described in the article are impressive though when it comes to speed of onset and development into fullblown paranoia. Something to keep in mind for the near future.