Could any Dopers be secretly related?

Handy, not everyone in Europe was related to the kings. :rolleyes: All the ROYALTY was related, yes, due to the rate of intermarriage, but it’s not like one original king and queen populated the entire freakin’ continent.

Some last names occurring in my family tree:

Boyett
Markham
Johnson (Irish)
Lewis (The Welsh strain, I think)
Ford (a name adopted by some Native Americans, I think, not quite sure, but I believe that’s what happened.)
Schmidt (Ten bajillion Germans can’t be wrong!)

I don’t give out my real last name on the boards. Sorry.

Anyone related to the Mercury’s in Rochester, New York area? You’re probably my cousin. For that matter, the Mercuri’s in italy, some little village about 25 miles south of Rome, are also related to me.

Any McGraths, MacLeans, Browns from New York, Toronto, New Brunswick? You just might be related to me.

Score!

Well! I ran across my surname (Hovis) in a post just today, so I may have a relative here yet. I think it was BryanEckers or something similar…now I’ll have to go find it again. I almost fell off my chair.
~karol

Our family history on Mom’s side has been documented to ~340 and goes back verbally to 20 AD. Freaky.

Francesca and I are related. We found this out during a white elephant exchange on here last year. Her last name is the same as my paternal grandfather’s. It is a very unusual name to begin with, and they share the very unusual spelling. Freaky.

If you have any of the following surnames in your ancestry, drop me a line:

Wilton - originally from Cornwall
Hanniver - from Ireland, before that maybe England?
O’Meara (O’Mara) - Kings County Ireland (now County Offaly)
Wandel - Ransen, Germany
Battersby - unsure. Married at “Saint Olave Old Jewry, London, England” before emigrating, but think they must have been from elsewhere in England
Brough - Dundee, Scotland
Cushion - unsure. Was convict transported to Australia, may have used an alias.
Dunwoodie (Dinwiddie, Dunwiddie, Dinwoodie, etc) - Barony Lanark Scotland but emigrated to Belfast, Ireland before coming to Australia - Brother and sister John and Eleanor Dunwoodie came out here but lived in different states.
Groombridge - from Groombridge, Kent. Duh.
Higginbottom - unsure.