Could denying someone transportation be false imprisonment?

Inspired by the Survivor reality show. In the show, some or all of the people voted off are placed in “sequesterville” or “Ponderosa” for the remainder of the filming, so that no clues make it to the outside world of who has been voted off. From videos we’ve seen, they stay in tents, in an isolated area. Presumably they’re compensated in some fashion for staying there. Now if someone wanted to give up the compensation and leave, it would certainly be illegal for the production team to physically bar them from leaving. But what if they just refused to provide them any transportation? “You’re of course free to go, but it’s 15 miles on bad roads to the nearest town, so have a nice walk.” Could that be false imprisonment? The person agreed ahead of time to remain in sequesterville for the entire time, and changed their mind later.

This is different from the previous locked thread in that its a perfectly safe area for the person to stay in - food, shelter, medical care is all provided, it’s just that there’s no easy or safe way to get out without the cooperation of the producers.

No, it’s not illegal. Large numbers of workplaces do this. Mines, oil rigs, lumber camps, ecological surveys, fishing boats. It’s standard practice to ship people into a work location on the understanding that they are there for the duration. You’re not obliged to take them back out just because they unilaterally want to terminate the contract. They can sit around until the rest of the team finishes.

And 15 miles on bad roads? That’s like a morning’s walk. Hardly likely to even hinder someone from the “Survivor” type shows.

On the Deadliest Catch a guy quit after a few days and they took him back to port. I thought they were required to do that but I guess not. This guy was acting really strange, at one point he said he might jump overboard I suppose they figured they could not keep him on board.

I’m sure Survivor has all the best lawyers, and they go over the contract with the participants from top to bottom. They probably even pay for “independent legal advice” so the participant has it explained to them by a lawyer with no obligation or conflict of interest with the producers.

Based on the fact that they fly family or freind in for some benefits, I doubt it is a massive high security lockdown like teh CIA might pull. But I bet all calls are monitored and they ahve limited outside contact.

I’m sure if the guy could arrange his own transportation they couldn’t stop him. The same applies on oil rigs, I’m sure - “if you can afford the charter company’s $25,000 fee, by all means arrange for pickup. Here’s a phone to the charter company, settle it with them how they will bill you.”

I think for Survivor all the filming is done before the 1st episode airs. Which means everyone is back home at that time so they could spill the beans at any time. What stops them from talking is the contract they sign.

Have you watched Survivor? Many, if not most of the contestants are picked for their looks and personality, not their actual ability to survive in the wilderness. They’ve had people who couldn’t start a fire with a pile of shredded coconut husk, a pile of kindling, and boxes of matches. It’s far more a social game than an endurance one.

True, but they don’t want contestants walking around their hometown a week after they left, so everyone who sees them knows they must have been voted out early. AFAIK, everyone on the show gets transported back home at the same time. And I’m sure that the family members who visit them about halfway through (which they skipped this season) are also compensated & contracted to not reveal who is left in the game at the time of their visit.

Also last season on the Deadliest Catch a guy’s sister died and they took him back to port so he could attend the funeral. That’s just common courtesy, I don’t think any captain would force someone to stay on the boat when a family member dies.

Yeah, that guy wasnt just being a lazy wienner, he had a mental breakdown. The nice part was the captain kept insisting the guy get paid for the his “share” even though he really didnt do much and made them come back early. The guy kept insisting the captain/crew keep “his share” of the money because he felt he had not earned it and had caused everyone much trouble. It was nice to see folks trying to out nice each other in a situation that was probably nothing but awkward and aggravating for everyone involved.

They also had the cops greet the boat at the dock for that guy , I guess to make sure nothing strange happened when he got off the boat.