Could Trump actually run and win in 2024?

More cheating?

See here for all about the detailed effort well in progress today to ensure that by 2022 enough states will have crooked vote administration and counting to ensure the Rs win the presidency and both houses of Congress every time regardless of how the public actually votes.

Why do you assume this? Voters knew everything they needed to know about Trump in 2020, and he got more votes than any incumbent president in history. As others have said, he was 40k votes or so in swing states away from winning an electoral college majority. What’s your basis for predicting a “guaranteed landslide” for Biden.

Some people just don’t want to believe they live in a country where almost half their fellow citizens who vote, think it’s right and good and knowingly and willingly want a President Trump.

Aww crap Velocity, you jinxed it for the rest of us.

I agree with flurb that he would steamroll any other candidates in the primary and then, like LSLGuy said, have a good chance of winning the general election due to all the Republican chicanery with anti-democratic tactics. That’s why I’m miffed his bout with COVID-19 didn’t finish him off - to paraphrase a well-known quote: “if you’re going to shoot the king, you better not miss”.

Another thing to consider: whatever advantages Democrats have today, a lot can happen in 3+ years. An economic downturn or a war might make ongoing Republican voter suppression and gerrymandering efforts unnecessary.

IF Trump chooses to run in 2024 he will get the nomination in a walk. There will be no credible opposition to him from the GOP. None.

His health failing is the most likely thing that would keep him from running in my opinion. I seriously doubt he will end up in prison. It’s also possible he may decide to anoint an heir because he just isn’t into it. DeSantis is the most likely person I see who will fill that role. And I would give him an even better chance of winning than Trump.

Someone else mentioned something similar but I see 2022 being the key to what happens in 2024. The only way the Ds have a credible shot at keeping the WH in 24 is to hang on to both the House and Senate in the midterms. Otherwise there will be no progress on any D proposals and McConnell and Co. will do everything they can to crash the economy and blame Biden/Harris. And a majority of voters in the swing states will fall for it and vote for the GOP nominee.

His position is even better than being an incumbent. He’s got all the normal incumbent advantages (not fighting with your own party for the nomination, name recognition, known quantity in the job) AND he doesn’t have a current job, so he can devote all his time to campaigning, he’s an “outsider” (for those people who bizarrely think that experience is bad), a lot of the electorate has relatively short memories - so Biden’s more recent mistakes (which he has and will make over the next 3.5 years) will be more prominent than Trump’s more distant ones…

If he runs, he is likely to win.

In 2016, nearly 63 million people took a shot on a bigmouthed blowhard, not knowing what an evil little prick he was. In 2020, over 74 million people knowingly voted for fascism, corruption, racism, cruelty, and incompetence. I wouldn’t be surprised if even more would say “thank you sir, may I have another?” in 2024. If he wants the nomination, it’s his. If he runs against Harris or Warren in 2024, he wins. In 2024, Republican efforts to suppress the vote will be at historic levels. Some states will have laws that will allow the legislature to award electoral votes to the Republican no matter how the vote goes. It could very well happen that he wins again and if he does, say goodbye to democracy.

This is a stunningly naive opinion likely rooted in not wanting to believe how hard the GOP is fighting to disenfranchise voters (i.e. cheat).

Oh, HELL no! Tell me, do you recall hearing this nonsense the first time he ran? I do, and I also recall telling people that such an approach was fucking dangerous.

This. 2020 was the last semi-clean election in this country. We need to fight like hell just to keep 2022 mostly unsullied by partisan election results managing.

2024 will be an even harder fight than 2020 even if we’re gaining all the way. Any losses in 2022 make it all the worse.

Not just that, I think he is sliding into dementia, and have serious concerns about his overall health. He eats junk food, and doesn’t exercise. I am not sure he even gets the same world class health care he got as President in his retirement.

Given the quack docs he employed as a candidate in 2016 certifying him as “the heathiest man in Amerika”, I think its a good bet he doesn’t get much real medical care now. Certainly he doesn’t follow quality medical advice any more than he’s followed any other sort of quality advice since he was driving a tricycle.

All of this was true in 2016 as well, and Trump got elected in 2016. We knew he didn’t want to do the job. Guess what, he got the job and didn’t do it. We knew he wanted authority without responsibility. Republicans made sure he got that, because they want the same for themselves. As you said, lots of American voters think that’s cool, and still think it’s cool. They think it’s fucking amazing that they’ve proven that such an ignorant toad can be president, because it legitimizes rule by ignorant toad, and gives hope to wealthy narcissistic C-minus students everywhere.

In 2020, Trump got more votes than any president in history except for Joe Biden. He’s a lock for the 2024 nomination, and has a decent chance of winning. The only thing that can stop him is someone cracking the code to holding him criminally accountable and exposing him as the indebted pauper he is. We cannot count on cholesterol to save us, because it appears to me that the man is immortal and cannot die.

Joe Biden would have to experience a collapse in popularity, probably because of a business cycle downturn.

How can McConnell and Co. “crash the economy” when Biden has the veto? No matter what happens in 2022, they certainly won’t have enough votes to override.

I think we should take the advice from an obvious right winger about what Democrats should do with a grain of salt.

They can refuse to pass a debt limit extension and/or force a long-term government shutdown. Either would have significant negative impact on the economy.

They could get the whole RW media machine / baying horde shrieking about impending runaway inflation due to excessive “confiscatory” taxation and/or deficit spending on “useless” social programs. That would help. It’d also make the gold shills who sell bullion and pretty coins to rubes on RW media very, very rich and very, very happy.

The good news is that both Bill Clinton and Barack Obama both won re-election under similar circumstances. The bad news is that neither of them ran against Trump.