Could you make a ring out of diamond?

Natural ones wouldn’t be expensive either except for the de Beers monopoly.

Indeed I do–good catch. I read/write the word anisotropic a few dozen times per day so my fingers really want to insert that extra r…

They would not be as expensive. It’s still a buttload of work to get the damn things out of the ground. Can anyone find any research about how much of diamond pricing is scarcity-based, or what the labor costs actually are? My immediate reaction is that the stones would be cheaper by half or more, but I’m totally making that up.

I suspect that, even without the cartel, a single gem-quality natural diamond big enough to carve a ring out of would still be ungodly expensive.

Well, I guess some lucky guy will never ever be able to make her happy unless they are able to pony up the bucks.I purchased my wife a man made diamond for both her engagement ring and for a tennis bracelet. Not has anyone once ever noticed it wasn’t a mined diamond, not even the jeweler who cleaned it last month. The man made diamonds are beautiful, sparkling and shining as good a anything most of us could afford.

She knew I was going to get her man made and agreed that we would rather have money in the bank than lost buying a worthless stone. Yes, practically worthless. Pay 5 grand for a diamond and take it back a few weeks later and see what they will give you for it. Suddenly, that one of a kind valuable stone isn’t worth a third of what you paid for it.

But wait, they are so rare! Really? If they are so rare then why does every jewelery store have hundreds of them? The sad truth is that DeBeers has done a masterful job convincing women of the value of a stupid rock. They have convinced women that their man doesn’t love them unless he shells out three months party for one of their trinkets. They got rich and those foolish enough to fall for the slick advertising got to make payments for the next few years on an asset that is worth a fraction of what they paid for it.