Crappy science instruction

I’m thinking of making a video that explains gravity. Does anyone know where I can get an MP3 of a loud sucking sound?

Here’s another good demo:

1. cap a plastic bottle, slightly collapsed.

2. twist it up tightly; this compresses the air inside, heating it up via adiabatic compression.

3. Over the course of a few seconds, the warm air loses some heat to the skin of bottle, cooling down a bit.

4. Rapidly untwist the bottle. Adiabatic expansion lets the air cool down again. Because it lost some heat in step 3, it will actually cool down to a temperature below whatever it started at in step 1. If there’s enough humidity in that air (e.g. if you have a small amount of residual liquid water in the bottle), it will condense into fog, a visible manifestation of the lowered temperature.

The big two would be air drag (if your’re still in the atmosphere) and gravity.

I saw a photo of a lightning bolt that went from the ground to about halfway up to the clouds, and purported to demonstrate that lighting travels from the ground up. No, dipshits, it demonstrates that your shutter was halfway closed as the lighting struck.

Some lightning strokes move from the ground up, and others from cloud to ground. Depends on what instigates them. Don’t listen to me, but listen to NOAA:

Oh hi, I just thought I’d stop in here and say, as much as I like the OP’s post, Revtim has officially won the thread. :smiley:

Yes, they make it stop, but what makes it go? How does a rocket produce thrust, if not via Newtons third law?