Craving cigarettes

I use e-cigarettes. Studies have shown some contaminates. I don’t recall what, but I recall thinking it sounded like solder use in constructing the heating element. I don’t know if only new vaporizers were tested. The contaminants may burn off in used vaporizers.

I found this article from a couple years ago…Vitamin E acetate appears to be a culprit.

This month marks 30 years since I quit. That was after a 17-year on-pack-a-day habit. The first few weeks were rough, but after the initial getting-over I never had a single craving again, not even when I have been around smokers. I credit it with really wanting to quit at the time, not just thinking it’s a good idea.

After I had quit I still kept an unopened pack stashed away. I didn’t really want to smoke them, but just knowing I had them made me a lot less nervy about it. I threw them away eventually after many years, still unopened.

I was a really heavy smoker. A day off with a night in bars/clubs and I’d hit pretty close to three packs. A lot of it was just burned away in clubs but it didn’t matter if I directly smoked them or not because everyone smoked in bars/clubs back then.

Quitting was surprisingly easy. I used the fill strength patch for a week, absolutely no cravings whatsoever. Switched to the low strength for a week just to be sure. Worked like a charm, that was 20? years ago. And I didn’t even put on the extra weight that a lot of people do. I’m still rather amazed when I think about it.

He was wrong. For me, it disappeared entirely after about 15 years. For the first ten years or so, I would sometimes daydream that I had some terminal illness, so I could smoke for 6 months and then die in peace. But by 15 years there was no craving and now I find the idea revolting. For the record, I quit the day I had a heart attack–57 years ago.

I loved cigarettes, but quit 34 years ago. I still have dreams where I’m smoking, and loving it, and wondering why I ever quit.

On weekend mornings when I’m sitting outside enjoying the weather and a cup of coffee, I really really want a smoke. But I know just one would send me back to a pack-plus a day.

I’m sure it varies from person to person. He often spoke of craving a smoke after eating decades after quitting.

As you said, this is an older article. I’ve read in other forums several times since then that this was found to be the result of THC vapes, which weren’t regulated, or perhaps even legal in some affected locations. I haven’t seen anything new that implicates standard nicotine vapes.

I dont’ vape, and don’t know anyone who does, so I didn’t care enough to source the info.

I used to smoke, quite a bit, myself.

My doctor said that for a long time, doctors didn’t want to admit that cigarettes might be the problem. The reason, of course, is that they were smokers themselves. Doc himself had been a smoker. I think once a smoker, always a smoker so I get it, but doc is right there too. He said if he ever got a bad diagnosis, one that he knew was a death sentence, he’d go out immediately and buy a pack of Winstons.

I would say a cig delivers a punch to the brain that other things don’t.

Soundtrack addition to the conversation:

Sweet Virginia cigarette
Burning in my hand
Well you used to be a friend of mine
But now I understand
You’ve been eating up inside me for some time
Oh, and I know you’re going to get me
Somewhere along the line

I love this song. YMMV.

My WAG is that vaping is the Wild West. If there aren’t any regulations—it isn’t tobacco or alcohol or a prescription drug—then companies can often sell you whatever with little fear of recrimination. A few dramatic bad cases hit the media and regulations change