Creating an unambiguous SDMB reference on TV

I’d argue that would be a reference to The Straight Dope, not specifically the SDMB. Ol’ Cecil does get referenced from time to time, but the message board is a different beast.

… or, you could bring one…

“So I asked myself, What would Cecil do?”

Something about a guy named Hal and farm animals? (Ducks and runs.)

14 k of g in a …

OW!

It certainly did originate elsewhere and it predates the SDMB by a number of years. The poster who came up with it here probably did so independently though. Some years ago the discussion came up and when I showed a cite from the Usenet from the early 90’s. The poster who thought that she originated it here threw a major hissy fit and accused me of calling her a plagiarist. :rolleyes:

Not quite. I believe the accepted designation is 18"DHIBJD:eek::eek:
:smiley:

Wow. I had no idea I had even read that thread, let alone made the first post after the historic ensuage. I’m a little creeped out.

Here is the thread in which the origins can be traced. The OP refers to “a double headed, 18” ice blue jelly dong". In Post #15, “18"DHIBJD” makes its first appearance. In Post #21, you bold the abbreviation and urge its dissemination.

In Post #28, laina_f suggests the appending of the :eek::eek: to represent both the “double-headed” and “ice blue” properties of the eighteen-inch marital aid in question. In Post #40, Dragwyr suggests the time-saving alternative “18”:eek::eek:".

I’d use the forum names in my daily conversations with people.

“I have a general question for you.”
“Don’t make me pit you!”
“I have something mundane and pointless I must share with all of you.”
“Nice Janet! That sounds like something for great debates.”
“We were just talking about TV shows we miss. You know, cafe society kind of stuff.”

Just think, if post editing had been available at the time, we would have been deprived of said greatness.

That’s why they don’t let people go back and kill Hitler. :slight_smile:

“Gotcha ya” is pure SDMB.

A search of Google Groups has it showing up as early as 1992.