Creationist Science Test from 4th Grade Science Class

I think the argument there is that the 6000 years number is calculated using the Bible, which to Fundies is unmitigated proof.

Substitute “Bible” for “Earth” and “the Word of God” for “only 6000 years old”. :slight_smile:

Read the explanation on the Snopes page it sounds like he didn’t know that the school was teaching creationism, and thought it was a good school otherwise, and is planning on removing his daughter from it at after the end of the year. Presumably he is waiting because he doesn’t want his daughter punished for any bad publicity the school gets.

It’s also very disruptive to a child to switch schools mid-year.

Less disruptive than spending a year of their lives having religious propaganda crammed into their heads?

The parents sent her to a religious school; I suspect they already expected religious propaganda.

Off topic. But when I was in the fourth grade (called “class” when I am) I once showed my father my geography school book…and he blew his top. Many years later I found out the reason was that the book showed the map of the USSR. It was published in 1993.

Parents…see what your kids are being taught.

My 9th grade history teacher told us a map of the Caspian Sea was actually Great Britain. (She was mistaking the water for land.) It took us some time to convince her she was wrong.

Not necessarily. Many people send their kids to a religious school because its better than a public school and cheaper than a secular private school. They might have misjudged the amount that religion would influence the curriculum. Obviously they should have checked before hand, but I wouldn’t conclude that everyone who sends their kid to a religious school does so so their kid can learn fundimentalism.

I really don’t get all the “wha-a-a-at? Religion is being taught to children as fact?!?” outrage I’ve seen in comments on other sites. What the heck else did they think would be taught at a religious school?

If their religion, that they ostensibly believe in, believes in fundamentalism, then obviously it will be taught in their schools. Anyone who sends their child expecting anything else must be an id-- oh, now I’m beginning to understand…

But that isn’t a religion quiz, it’s a “science quiz.”

Some religious schools do a perfectly good job teaching science. They just don’t use Genesis as their science textbook.

Why would they teach them stuff that contradicts their religion? If their religion does not believe in science, what would be the point of teaching it?

Because teaching a child young-earth creationism is child abuse.

That’s ridiculous. Religious people actually believe this stuff, so why would or should they keep it from their children? We have a right to our own beliefs.
What about Santa? Adults know its fake and teach it to kids anyway. How is that not worse?

I remember the day my second grade teacher taught us that the Amazon River flowed through India. (She misunderstood the book we were reading about “Indians” who lived along the Amazon).

Obligatory Snopes cite. Undetermined.

Not all religious people are creationists. In fact remarkably few are. Most Christian Schools teach a regular Science curriculum like any other.

I wonder if it was reading these comments that made them change! :smiley:

• Were you there?

• No, were you?

• No.

• Then do you know?

• The Bible tells me so.

• The what?

• The Bible.

• What’s that?

• History of the universe.

• Oh, who wrote that?

• God.