Critique this letter to my sister, who usually votes Republican

I wouldn’t send it unless she starts a conversation about politics.

Although I would read such an email if I got it from a relative whose politics I didn’t necessarily agree with. Of course, at least part of that would be simply my astonishment at getting a reasoned and personally written email instead of the “Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: Read THIS! Gay Communist Terrorists are Coming For Your Children!!!11!” glurge I get.

Here’s what I’d do if you really feel like a political discussion amongst family would be healthy and productive. That’s not always the case, especially when one is being preachy or close-minded.

Start like this:
Hey Sis, you planning on voting this week?

Her:
Yup!

You:
Who ya thinking about voting for?

Her (Option 1):
None of your business!

Her (Option 2):
I haven’t decided yet. What about you?

Her (Option 3):
I guess Obama, I’m not sure about McCain-Palin, seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

Her (Option 4):
McCain baby! Fuck those pinko, terrorist loving, Anti-American Dems.

I think it becomes pretty clear what your line of discussion is following each possibility. Fish her out and see if she’s even remotely interested in a discussion, if not, fine, if so then it’s much more likely to be effective this way than some spammy looking proselytizing.

Unless you are absolutely, positively certain, beyond any and all doubt, that it wouldn’t severely damage your relationship with your sister, I don’t think I’d recommend having this conversation with her. NOT because I think it’s arrogant to talk to people about their choice for president and make the case for your own, but because with family, it’s different.

I merely mentioned casually to my step-mother, with whom I’d developed a rather close relationship, with daily phone calls, etc., that I was just coming home from volunteering for the Obama campaign, in one of our conversations. She said she could never, ever vote for him, so I asked why?

She went on to tell me how she’d gotten this dossier about all of his radical “associations”, and she had a friend try to check them out through AIPAC, but they don’t comment on political candidates, so they did their own research and he is just too dangerous for Israel for her to ever vote for him. I didn’t argue with her right then, I simply said that I’d be very interested in seeing the information she had, and, since I work in the political arena and might have access to information she wouldn’t, perhaps I could help determine the veracity of these claims.

She sent me the links to articles from The American Thinker. :rolleyes: I politely, and rationally, pointed out several of the errors in fact, with links to sites that debunked the falsehoods, provided links to prominent Jewish leaders who had denounced the claims, as well, and pointed out how many of the allegations were nested in “so-and-so says Barack Obama said, “blah blah”, etc.” with no actual corroboration, and that these supposed quotes should not be relied upon.

She didn’t speak to me for 3 days. Then, when she did, she was steadfast that her research was more right than mine. There was no research, just articles filled with smears. She has held onto those as gospel to this day, and to this day, we rarely ever get in touch. Not that we are at odds or anything – we just spent 2 days in Palm Springs with both my folks and my husband’s. I love her dearly, but we just can’t talk about this stuff anymore, and the lapse in daily conversations just spilled over into permanent.

Good luck!

xanthous, how would you feel if you got such an email from her about her candidate? I mean that seriously; it might help you judge her likely reaction.

If you are intent on sending her a letter, have you considered including independent research instead of recommending she watch the equivalent of an infomercial? I don’t know about your sister, but every time an infomercial comes on, I automatically change the channel. Having someone recommend to me that I watch one would make me snort, say “Yeah, right!” and delete the e-mail.

For what it’s worth, unless your sister has asked you specifically why you’re voting for Obama, I agree with the other posters who think it may not be in your best interest to send such an e-mail, particularly to a family member you obviously like unless you’re extremely close.

Don’t email it, find a couple of 18 year old men wearing white shirts and ties to deliver it to her personally.

I guess I would lovingly disagree.

If you don’t usually talk politics with your sister, then I wouldn’t send it.

I spend hours arguing politics with my mother but we’ve always done that since I can remember. I support Obama, mom doesn’t. Still, it’s a “no harm, no foul” kind of back and forth, although I admit I usually get frustrated with her like I did when I was 15.

But my best friend – whom I love like a sister – is staunchly conservative and I would never send an email like that to her. If she asks I’ll say who I support but I won’t begin to try to convert her unless she invites the discussion herself.

If you were my sister, I’d think you’d lost your ever-loving mind. Honestly, it reminds me of how my friends, the AmWay people, started acting right after they’d become enlightened to The Truth.

If you want to support a candidate, yippee. But I am an adult and can make up my own mind. If I want your input or endorsement, you can be assured I will ask for it. Honestly, I find this kind of adoration to be debasing. Let the man run based on his credentials and not your emotional connection to him, which, quite frankly, I find to be rather pubescent.

Put it this way - how would you react to an e-mail that said that the reason you won’t vote for McCain is that you haven’t watched enough of his campaign ads?

If people would just listen to the word of Obama they would understand. It’s change we can believe in.

You forgot to capitalize “word.”

I guess I would want know, are you trying to convert your sister to your way of thinking? Or are you simply explaining your personal position because she has expressed doubt or disbelief that you could think the way you do?

If it is the latter, then I could see email as an effective communication tool that allows you to create a thoughtful and concise analysis of your understanding and support of Obama.

If you expect your sister to read your letter and consider changing her mind, then it seems like it would only be fair for you to invite her to explain her choice of candidate to you so that you can consider changing your mind as well. Would you be willing to engage in that kind of self-questioning?

I would be HIGHLY annoyed to receive this letter from a family member.

In fairness, he’s not really “admired around the world as a uniter”, he’s admired around the world as that American politician who isn’t George Bush. While he is popular overseas, it’s not like most furriners are going to know more about him than “he’s from Chicago and he used to do social-work-type stuff in the inner city”.

It’s worth a shot, probably it won’t cause any harm or do any good. You know your sister better than us tho.

What was the point of the ‘owning a house and a car’ sentence?