Crowning moments of stupid.

Inspired by Crowning moments of awesome thread.
I posted in there about the Torpedo-cloaked warbird scene in Star Trek Six.

But in the same (very good) movie there is a really dumb bit…

When whossname fires the phaser to demonstrate that the alarm will sound. First Uhuru (sp?) barges in, unarmed, and says “Did someoene fire a phaser?” and then Scotty Barges in , unarmed and says “Who fired a phaser?”…

If someone fires a phaser, the first thing you assume is that… well… for fecks sake don’t barge in there unarmed and shouting! Assume that if someone is firing phasers you MIGHT want to be careful!

Would you barge in to a room unarmed if you heard a gunshot???

Post moments in films where the scriptwriter/director whoever, REALLY didn’t think something through (and apparently neither did anyone else)

Also from Star Trek, the scene in the two parter where Lore has taken over a bunch of individualistic Borg. Picard sends nearly the whole crew down to search the planet they followed the Borg to, and they are all promptly captured. :smack:

I’ll stick with the same shows I chose in the Crowning Moments of Awesome thread:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: So many to chose from, but I’m going to go with Magic Crack from season six. The episode “Wrecked” was kind of like if a regular Buffy episode date raped that episode of Saved by the Bell where Jesse got addicted to caffeine pills, and then SbtB got pregnant and delivered a mentally challenged baby.

Futurama: Hmmm…Usually a solid show. There were worse episodes, but I’ve got to wonder why the writer of “A Pharaoh to Remember” thought it would be funny to see Bender torture and kill a planet of slaves to build a giant statue. I would have forgiven it if the jokes had been funny.

Supernatural: Sam and Dean vs. the truck that ran over Black people – because it was possessed by the spirit of a KKK member. Who the fuck dreamed that one up?

The Brave One. Even though the movie’s been out for a couple years (and still bothers me) I’ll spoiler it. At the end, Detective Mercer

[spoiler]tells Erica to shoot the thug with Detective Mercer’s weapon, and then tells Erica to shoot Detective Mercer with Erica’s gun, to make it appear as if the thugs that killed her fiance committed the other murders, and that they shot Detective Mercer, who killed in self-defense.

Okay: did anyone consider the facts that (a) Detective Mercer hasn’t fired a weapon, so there’s no power residue on him? (b) the thug hasn’t fired a weapon so there’s no powder residue on him? © the thugs could have alibis for the other murders? (d) the pot head kid already said that the only other person in the subway car was a woman, so it couldn’t have been the thugs who killed the two guys on the subway?[/spoiler]
Seriously, it’s like the cops are supposed to show up and say, “oh, okay, no need to investigate; thanks for wrapping that up for us.”

Also in Star Trek VI, though I’m not sure it counts since it was deliberately played for humor, but the investigation scene when Chekhov accuses the ensign of the assassination because the magnetic boots were found in his locker…but the ensign’s species has huge webbed-looking feet that wouldn’t fit in the boots. :smack: You’d think a Star Fleet officer who’s been serving for at least 25 years might have thought to check if the boots he found actually belonged to the person whose locker they were found in…

Frankly, even if it were played for humor, it was stupid and only served to make Chekhov look like an imbecile whose commission must have been “earned” by close relation to an admiral.

What are you talking about? There was no episode like that. Just like season three ended in a happy explosion of rainbows and sparkly unicorns and puppies, remember?
Crowning moment of stupid in Lost: “So you lied to me multiple times, had my friends kidnapped, and shot and left me for dead in a pit of skeletons you were responsible for putting there. Who cares? Of course I’ll believe whatever you say about the people on the freighter!”

Crowning moment of stupid in 24: The cougar. Just… the cougar.

Crowning moment of stupid in Doctor Who: Journey’s End. [del]Okay, not so much a moment of stupid as more of a moment of WAAAH WHY DID YOU HAVE TO STOMP ON MY HEART, but…[/del]

Heroes season 1 was great, and season 2 had its moments but was rather lackluster in comparison. Most inconsistencies you can fanwank away with a lot of effort, but there’s one season 1 moment that I just can’t stand.

[spoiler]Sylar’s got Mohinder trapped in his apartment. Enter Peter. Sylar pins Peter, begins head opening, then Peter turns invisible.

Peter’s got a lot of options here now. He can punch the daylights out of Sylar, who will find it hard to react to an unseen opponent. He can not bother with that and just TK an object at his head and knock him out. If he were so inclined he could even run away and live to fight another day.

What does he do instead? Just…I dunno, stare at the wall for a while? Meanwhile, Sylar slooooowly picks up some glass shards, and manages to stab Peter in the BACK of the head. What?! Come on, if you wanted to “kill” Peter there are other, more sensible ways it could’ve been done. A very awkward moment in an otherwise well put-together series.
[/spoiler]

All the fanwanking in the world does little to wave away these two from Firefly.

Episode 8, Out of Gas:Mal has been dealing with the cold and low oxygen for who knows how long, and is alone on the ship except for a healthy and alert crew of 5 or so whose captain just shot him in the stomach. And yet a tiny little holdout pistol is enough to make them drop everything and leave, leaving the engine part he needs behind, without further hostility. Riight.Episode 12, The Message:Not once does anyone even try to explain to Tracey that they’re not going to hand him over to the crooked Fed. Yes, he was panicking and waving a gun around, but all it would have taken was “We’re not handing you over” and things would have calmed down. Instead it was all “Don’t be stupid” and “You brought this on yourself.” I remain convinced Mal was carrying the Idiot Ball for that episode.
Yeah, almost everyone here has seen Firefly at this point. I still don’t want to ruin it for those who haven’t yet.

In a song of fire and ice after finding the secret of Cerseis children Ned Stark tells her he knows and warns her to flee because he will tell the king about it. While completely in character for someone like Ned it causes untold grief for everyone involved, mainly Ned and his family. I tried to keep this as spoiler free as possible, im sure anyone whos read the series will understand what i mean.

The Stark family flaw - assuming that everyone else is as honorable as you are. Robb suffered from it too, unfortunately.

However, unlike most everything else mentioned in this thread, that’s an example of *good * writing, not bad.

Independence Day when Will Smith, (a fighter pilot) “borrows” a helicopter and flies blindly into the night only to find his girlfriend who, coincidentally, has rescued the President’s wife.

Same movie, the scene where the girlfriend is in a tunnel and sees the explosion in her mirror and she has time to get out of the car, search for a door in the tunnel wall (which is unlocked) and then waits for the dog to follow her in. Meanwhile, this fire, which is moving slower than a glacier, catches up to her just as she is closing the door.

Nuh-uh. No way. You’re completely off on this one.[spoiler]Mal’s got a gun. Mal’s just been plugged. If he’s gonna lose his life and his ship, then Mal’s lookin to kill some folk before he goes. He’s wearing a big brown confederat- I mean, Independent coat, which makes him an ex-soldier quite experienced in the ways and methods of killin folk. If the scavengers press the issue, he’ll get the job done. At least one of them, bare minimum, is going to die.

On the other side, the invading crew is just vultures. They’re a bunch of space cowards lookin for easy pickins. They’d be happy to take Serenity and sell it if it’s not too much trouble for them. An irate ex-sergeant who just got a little bit shot is not the sort of unpleasantness they’re willing to deal with. Would they win a firefight? Sure, absolutely. But up to two or three of them are gonna bite it if they choose to thrown down. Just not worth it from their perspective.

Now, in a crappy TV show where the heroes always have crack shot from 200 yards and the bad guys can’t hit the side of a barn at 10 feet, then yeah, there’d have been a shoot-out. And Mal would’ve won it. And it would’ve been stupid. But Firefly is too smart for that. Even though its guest character pirates don’t get more than five minutes camera time, they still manage to find value in their own lives. And this very moment, when the pirate scum back off because they all want to live another day, is a trademark moment of why Firefly is one of the greatest tee-vee shows ever made.[/spoiler]You’re totally right about “The Message”, though. That made no fucking sense.

Well, to be honest, as much as I like Trek, they’ve got a whole lotta stupid happening in some episodes. Some of it just bad writing, and it begins with the fact that the command staff are always the ones beaming down into danger. Yeah, TNG kind of changed that but as **Der Trihs **mentioned above, it still happened a lot. Of course TNG began the tradition of technobabbling the way out of situations. The transporter alone could probably cure any disease. (and it does when the plot requires it.) Hell, they de-aged the dying Pulaski with it.

But one of the stupidest things that come to my mind at the moment is the two parter where Picard, Worf and Dr. Crusher are some kind of commando mission against the cardassians and Ronnie Cox guest starred as the Enterprise Captain. Sorry, I just can’t buy it that Picard was supposed to be such an expert on this radiation wave or whatever they sent for. Even if he was who in their right minds would send the *captain of your flagship, who must certainly know all kinds of stuff you don’t want your enemy knowing on a highly dangerous commando mission. *? Worf i can see…but Dr. Crusher? These are the only people the Federation can send? They don’t have any kinds of Spec Ops units in starfleet? Thats stupid on multiple levels, but they way its written starfleet is the dumbest organization in sci-fi anyway. Any one here could be CiC of starfleet and do a better job. Only the show would be over in 20 minutes and the movies would last maybe 30.

Totally disagree with you on that one. I thought that scene was great because it was completely believable. Sure, the pirates could have overpowered him pretty easily, but at least one of them was going to get shot, probably shot dead. And none of them were willing to take a risk that they’d be the one who took the bullet, instead of one of their crew mates. They thought they’d be able to waltz in and take the ship with minimal effort. Once there was some real danger involved, they gave up and left. That’s precisely the sort of cowardly, opportunistic behavior I’d expect from a real pirate, and it was one of the naturalistic touches that made Firefly so good.

ETA: Shit, Kendall beat me to it, and he did it in dialect, no less.

Thats true, Miller. It was kind of the reverse of what happens in a lot of action movies. you know, you have 6 or 7 guys try to attack the hero (usually in a bar) and the hero rips them apart one by one. Theres always the last man standing that jumps in and gets beaten too. Now, if i’m at a bar with 6 or 7 of my friends and we decide to jump some guy, I’m not attacking him after he just whooped 6 or 7 other guys easily. I never understood why idiots in those movies do that. My rule is this…if you can’t beat 6 guys up without sweating, don’t attack the bad ass that can! I’m going to have to find a name for that.

Its like the movie **Dawn of the Dead **(the 2004 one). The survivors have try to rescue the gun store guy from across the street. They tell the one guy in their group that absolutely, positively cannot be depended on to guard the door so they can make a quick escape from the zombies when they come back (Steve). Dickweed Steve naturally doesn’t do as required and almost gets them killed because he locked the door and left it unattended.

Seriously, it would have been obvious to a five year old that Steve wasn’t going to do jack squat. At no time in the movie did he demonstrate any traits that would make you think *“Yeah, I can trust this guy with my life.” *. In fact a brain damaged monkey could see that if the chips fall Steve was the first person that you could count on to stab you in the back. To make it even worse, they don’t kill him when they do make it back. (with a horde of undead on their tail.) CJ threatens him, but thats it. (Why? Steve says he has a yacht and the keys they can escape the city with…but you know, they could just kill him and take the stinking keys!) Its not that I’m saying killing him like a dog would have a hero’s job…but you know, its the End of The World and zombies are all over the place, do I need the added problem of a guy that won’t even pull his own weight, let alone help in any meaningful way about our survival as a group? I’m going to have to call this the Gilligan/Doctor Smith syndrome. When conpetent characters in a bad situation trust the one person that everyone knows they shouldn’t. The person then turns around and either ruins any chances of escaping or gets people killed through greed or stupidity.

How can you mention Independence Day and neglect the Powerbook incident? Yes, yes I know you can rationalize it via reverse engineering or whatever, but they never tried to in the movie so I consider all explanations null and void unless you can point to specific points in the movie that undeniably hint at it. Seriously, try harder with your product tie-ins next time you do a movie guys.

28 Weeks Later - not so much a single moment, as an entire plot point.

[SPOILER]
Think about this - you’ve got a disease that you know spreads through crowds like wildfire. So, what’s your plan in the event of an outbreak? That’s right - lock everybody together in one big room. That’ll contain the infection, no problem!

Another doper - I forget who - pointed out that the smart containment procedure would be have to have electronic locks on everybody’s apartments. In the event of an outbreak, everybody hides in their rooms, and gets locked in. All of a sudden, the problem becomes a lot more manageable. [/SPOILER]

I’m gonna have to go with Oedipus.

After being explicitly told in a prophecy that you’re gonna kill your old man and then mate with your mom, then why-oh-why would you ever marry a chick who’s older than you? Upon hearing this dreadful revelation, any intelligent person would do their damndest to develop a healthy ephebophilia. Or even pedophilia, since they were all ancient Greeks and they thought that stuff was okay. But whatever your preferences, the smartest thing is simply not to tap any ass that’s older than your own.

Now, given the iron laws of destiny that were characteristic of the Balkan peninsula in the 5th century BC and before, the mother and son obviously would’ve hooked up anyway through some stupid series of seeming coincidences. Perhaps an accidental tryst after a masquerade ball, or a drunken night of debauchery ending in an orgy, or maybe a good old fashioned rape of the son by the mother. But at least that way it’s a one time deal. You bang her and you’re done.

But if you’ve got that looming prophecy and despite it you willingly decide to marry a lady more than 10 years your senior, a lady widowed in strange and mysterious circumstances, then you’re just a fucking idiot. I mean, shit, you just shouldn’t make Fate’s job so bloody easy.

There are so many holes in that film’s plot, you could make stockings.

A couple of teens can easily escape the super secure perimeter.

Said teens are spotted. But not immediately shot. Shooting kids in cold blood isn’t cool, but letting potential zombies back into the safe bit of London is a smart move?

Robert Carlyle is a glorified janitor. His swipe card allows him access to a level 5 biohazard containment area?

(Possile spoilers)

Any movie or TV show where some guy has to cut his whole hand to escape from handcuffs. You only need to cut your thumb, you dimwit. The random average guy from that Ewan MacGregor’s movie “Night Shift” knew that. How come Jack Bauer donesn’t? Or the guy from “Saw” thought of only cutting the ankle bone. I mean, he was a doctor!