Csi 5/15/08

No one commented on this yet?
I’m going to miss Warrick’s character, but for some reason knowing he was leaving the show stole a lot of the suspense from this episode for me.
The identity of the mole in the sheriff’s department was quite a shock though.

[spoiler]I liked the last scene. I knew as soon as I saw them all having their stylistically shot happy breakfast that something was going to go wrong, but I liked how they handled it. At first I thought somebody was going to walk in and shoot him right there. Then I thought the car was going to blow up.

The identity of the mole surprised me but yet didn’t–I’ve thought that guy was sleazy from the first time I saw him. But I didn’t think he’d resort to murder.

I just hope they don’t find a way to make Warrick “miraculously recover but have to leave the force” next season to explain his absence. Sometimes people in that line of work die (especially when they’re rogues). Let him stay dead. And I say this having liked his character.
[/spoiler]

I was going to start a thread last night except all I would have to say is WTF? But thats because I only saw the last minute of the show. I think I missed a bunch. I did like the fact that Gary Dourdan went out with a bang instead of quitely getting fired. I hope he gets his shit together.

Yeah, watching that happen was a sock in the gut. To be a witness to a character leaving the series like that… shudders

I’m quietly rooting for Ecklie to finally pull his head out of other people’s asses and be all “grr arr you mess with Grissom’s team, you’re messing with me”, because he’s been a cardboard cutout villain for too damn long. (You listening, writers? None of that “oh, yeah, he was part of the shenanigans all along” thing, please.)

Yeah…

I cried. I was thinking the undersheriff would just fire him finally. He’s had so many chances before, maybe this was the one mess he’d gotten into that Grissom wouldn’t be able to fix entirely. But, when they were all smiling and laughing at the restaurant, I knew… I can’t even imagine the teams response next season.

Not really spoiling anything, but better safe than sorry I guess.

Actually, Ecklie kind of already came around and became less of an asshat. I don’t remember when (last season? the one before?) because I don’t watch the show regularly anymore, but it was when some of the team were working for him on day shift for awhile. I got to where I actually kind of liked him, and I couldn’t stand him when he seemed to have it in for Grissom and was being a vindictive twit.

Whenever a true dick acts nice to you, you know he is up to no good.

I knew something bad was going to happen as soon as they were in the restaurant. I thought at first the dirty cop Pritchard would see him at the table & shoot him (it looked like a bar where a lot of cops hung out.) Then I thought his car would explode. The final scene reminded me a lot of “LA Confidential.” (If you’ve seen the film, you know the scene.)

Grrr…remember mouse-over spoiler space…grrrrrr…

???
What did you mouse over that was a spoiler, just out of curiosity?

“I’m going to miss Warrick’s character”…

Of course it no one can assume that everyone is in the know but it was not exactly a secret that Gary Dourdan and the producers reached a mutual agreement that he wouldn’t be returning. No idea why it happened.

My apologies, I thought it was common knowledge he was leaving the show.

I never cared for his character. He was always jeopardizing the CSI with personal crap. He was not a part of the team but a detriment. The lab is supposed to be so professional and scientific. he should have been gone a long time ago.

Was the character’s departure planned prior to the actor’s arrest on drug charges?

I’m glad I didn’t know in advance he was leaving.

I don’t follow Hollywood “news” so the ending took me completely by surprise. I was flabergasted.

Same here.

There’s a distinct possibility that the producers were aware he had a drug problem prior to his recent arrest, assuming there is a drug problem. If that is indeed the case, it makes staying employed a bit more challenging.

That being said, I’m going to miss Warrick. He wasn’t your typical CSI, but had personal demons he was fighting that humanized him. That’s an element of the show I’ve always appreciated. While it’s focused on their work as CSIs, the personalization of the characters makes me that much more invested in them.

A 30 second search of his name brings up several mentions of the arrest being no surprise to anyone on the show. I heard about his drug problem a while ago but I don’t remember where. Maybe when he was arrested for domestic violence. I don’t really pay attention to these things or follow their personal lives. I just tend to remember things that I read, like if they are on MSNs homepage.

Since he looks like he’s aged about 20 years in the last 5 I don’t think he is hiding things very well.

Ditto for me.

I’ve said it over and over to my adult son (who disagrees with me) that CSI has some of the best writing on television.

You didn’t spoil me because I saw the episode before I saw this thread, but I had no idea he was leaving the show.