Cubs vx. Mets in Tokyo: Bad For Baseball?

I tossed a coin between GD and MPSIMS. GD won.

So, what about the Cubs and the Mets playing baseball in Tokyo? A mission of good will? A marketing gimmick? What does it all mean for baseball, having Opening Day on another continent?

That’s what I think it is. Interleague games are another example.

Feel free to correct me at any time. But don’t be surprised if I try to correct you.

It means another country can suffer watching the Cubs.

As a die-hard Braves fan I have to say that the Cubs and Mets are always bad for baseball. :smiley:

…send lawyers, guns, and money…

Warren Zevon

As an exhibition game a couple of weeks before or after the season, I think it’s a good thing. But a regular season game? No way! Both these teams fans are losing 1 home game opportunity to see their teams. (were season tickets 10 bucks less?). Both teams lose 1 game on their home field. Both teams will have to fight some serious jet lag while playing their next series. It’s just not worth it.

Having Opening Day in Japan isn’t nearly as bad for baseball as having interleague play, 3 divisions per league, wild cards and having so many teams mathematically eliminated on Opening Day. What’s really bad for MLB is that the Mets and Cubs were only .500 against the Japanese teams they played, thereby dousing forever any claims of American baseball superiority.

But it’s the Mets and Cubs, fer cryin’ out loud! If they were able to go .500 against the Japanese teams, which means they won just as many games against the Japanese as they lost, that practically clinches the notion of American baseball superiority right there.

If they’d been playing against Cuban teams, though, they would’ve gotten their asses whupped.

Pardon me, but didn’t the Cubs and the Mets bring out their 3rd strings for both of these games? Like the Cubs are going to risk getting Grace or Sosa injured for an exhibition game.

OPENING DAY IN ANOTHER COUNTRY (CANDADA OR TEXAS DON’T COUNT) IS A FARCE BUT REALITY THE FANS DO NOT MATTER ONLY $$$$
AS FOR INTERLEAGUE PLAY THINK NFL …
HMM 14 TEAMS AL 16 TEAMS NL ONE DIVISION WITH 6 TEAMS ONE WITH 4 I MAY BE OFF BASE BUT WHY NOT HOUSTON TO THE AL MATCHED WITH THE RANGERS BUT NO THAT WOULD MAKE SENSE.