"Curing" a raw egg yolk is a foodie thing. I had never heard of this ... ever.

Process described in this article. Looks like it might be worth trying. Any dopers do this?

Yolking Around: Why Boston Chefs Are Curing Their Egg Yolks

Procedure with pics found here

Sounds delicious. I’ll have to read the details later.

I didn’t realize eggs were a disease. :smiley:

So is ham. Never has being sick been so delicious.

I wonder what happens if you use pink salt?

Hmm, there is a Chinese version of this, a salted duck egg (as opposed to the 1000 year old egg), so it doesn’t seem that new to me. Slightly fancier, since they separate out the yolk instead of just brining the entire egg, and grate it finely instead of just cooking it with vegetables or other foods, but nearly the same effect.

It would seem to me that, while both are cured, they are quite different, with the salted duck egg being cured in shell, hard-boiled, and then eaten, while the cured egg yolk is cured out of the shell, dried, then grated (raw) over your meal. I’d expect the flavors and texture of the end result to be fairly distinct in both cases.

I really want to try some…but I don’t really want to go through the process. Story of my life.

Hmmm, we have 5 chickens. I’m gonna have to try this soon…

Take the shell off a raw egg by submerging it in vinegar overnight. Rinse off the softened shell, put the egg in a bowl and cover it in corn syrup. The whole egg will dehydrate overnight. Rinse off the now diluted corn syrup, snip open the egg with scissors and fry it. Let me know how it works out!!:smiley:

Testing out with two organic egg yolks from my chickens. It’s day two with those yolks covered in kosher salt and some rock salt on top in a sealed jar in the fridge. firmed up a lot in the first 24 hours. We’ll see how these bad boys turn out. Probably meh but might be surprisingly great.

Cheese brings funk?

Who would have guessed that “funky” and “cheesy” are synonyms? :smiley:

I have a question about food safety. I currently have one egg yolk curing in a ramekin in the fridge. If, after I’ve satisfactorily cured it, I were to place another yolk in the salt and do it again, am I creating a health risk? By itself, salt isn’t going to grow anything nasty but I assume over the next few days it will begin to absorb liquid from the egg.

I would personally change out the salt and clean the ramekin, salt is relatively inexpensive (unless you’re an Ancient Roman) and it would be zero effort. Why an Ancient Roman has access to the Internet I’ll leave someone else to speculate on.

Vampire. D’uh!

StG

This cured egg and Astro’s link are very interesting. I’ve never heard of this either, but predict that it will appear in many restaurants due to the inexpensiveness of eggs, and the ease of preparation. I toss out many yolks attempting to reduce our intake of cholesterol, but I may work at curing a few. Thanks for posting this.

Wow, I gotta try this

My yolks are getting pretty firm. Just poked 'em for fun and not much give. Interesting