Curly or Shemp?

Curly or Shemp?

Let me be the first to say…

Curly.

Seconded

Curly soitenly.

Curly, if you mean with Moe and Larry.

Shemp, if you mean with Bud and Lou.

(Both Shemp and Joe have worked with Abbott and Costello - Shemp in the movies, and Joe on their TV series.)

When I was a kid, Curly. As an adult, Shemp.

Curly.
Ah whoop, whoop, whoop, whoop, whoop!

N’yuk, N’yuk, N’yuk, N’yuk.

Curly!

Yeah, this is a tough one, as they both had their charms. I think Shemp is the ultimate stooge, though. Curly isn’t enough of a loser. Shemp is as close to zero as it gets without becoming unlikeable.

Curly. No contest.

They were different, and Shemp was much older at the time he took Curly’s place (and he was 8 years older than Curly to begin with). Curly was in bad shape in the 1940s. You can see it in his last films.

I liked Shemp better. Curly was fine too but given a choice I’d rather watch one of the shorts with Shemp.

I have the stooges box set with all the shorts. I’ve only watched a few so far. Next time I’m home sick will be a good time to put the dvd in the machine.

The story lines were fresher in Curly’s films. Columbia cut back and recycled plots and story lines after about 1945.

Curly.

Don’t get me wrong, Shemp had his good points. But Curly was a Divine Fool.

Curly.

Joe Besser.

No, seriously, I think I like Shemp a little bit better. More range. And ‘heebebebebebebe’ is just as funny as ‘nyuk nyuk nyuk’ in my book.

As with music or anything else, there’s no compelling reason to make it a contest.

Curly was no doubt the more inventive of the two, but the best of the Shemp shorts are a lot of fun in their own way.

As someone noted, Curly was definitely in serious decline in his last few shorts, and Shemp brought a new energy to the series in the first few years of his.

I’m more of a Shemp man myself, although Curly will always have a special place in my heart too.

I knew someone who interviewed Shemp back in the day. He said Shemp had an encyclopedic knowledge of comedy and the technical aspects of his craft.

Curly, without a doubt.

Yep. Beware false Stooges.