Curse You, Van Halen!

The not-so-mighty-anymore Van Halen is hitting the road in support of a new album. I saw them with Sammy Hagar and Gary Cherone (I know–you’re jealous) but never with Dave. I saw Dave solo a few years ago and it was the worst concert I’ve seen. Eddie’s ego has ruined the band (c’mon, what’s Van Halen without Michael Anthony’s harmonies?). By most accounts the last VH tour with Roth was a disaster because of Eddie’s drinking. I don’t want to see another part of my formative years die.

And yet I’m looking under the couch cushions for money to buy a ticket. WHY CAN’T I QUIT YOU, VAN HALEN!?!?!?

I’ve seen the Dave and Sammy versions and the best show of the lot was at the Cow Palace in 84 with Sammy. He and Eddie played off each other really well and I remember them scurrying around a scaffolding up above the crowd. It was wild!

I saw Sammy and Dave on tour together several years ago, and was looking forward to seeing Dave more than Sammy. I left blown away by Sammy, and completely disappointed with Dave.

This new incarnation of VH? I’ll pass. At least until they bring Anthony back. And dump Dave for Sammy. And give me a pony.

This is the Van Halen I want to see.

This is probably the one I’ll get. Yea, don’t click on this one. It’s from the last tour with Dave and it’s terrible.

Happy Lendervedder, I saw Sammy a few years ago and was blown away as well. The guy knows how to put on a good show.

If I get tickets maybe I’ll wear a Chickenfoot shirt. That should go over well.

By now I’m sure you guys know they played an invite only show last night in the Village… here’s video of the one new song they did. Another video shows more of the show.

That song is a new/old one - written back in 1977 but never made it to an album, but it’s been resurrected for the new album coming out in Feb. Since that’s the case I’m still not sure how the new album will be, as I don’t count this as a new one.

You can use these to judge whether or not to keep looking for change in the cushions (keeping in mind the sound quality of the recordings - good enough considering it’s a cellphone video, but still).

I’ve seen a number of incarnations of this band (many Hagar shows, one with Cherone, and the DLR led one they toured with a few years back, as well as a number of Hagar solo plus one Chickenfoot show) but I don’t think I’ll be going this time… I can only assume the MSG shows are gonna be a lot of $$ so unless I’m wrong or I come into some unexpected cash I will most likely be sitting this one out.

Hey Dave, I like your tan overalls.

Nothing to add except I saw VH when they toured for their first album. All I remember is that, although we were at the back of the arena, the music was so loud and distorted that my ears hurt like hell and I felt like puking the entire time.

Yeah, there could have been other reasons for some of that. :wink:

Not a pleasant concert experience at all. Mind you this was in a hockey arena in London, Ontario.

ETA: Circa 1978. I was 16.

Just wanted to add:

VH1 reporter’s thoughts about the show.

Eddie Trunk was also there and he said he’ll be talking about it on tonight’s Friday Night Rocks show.

Well, at least you know he’s not lip syncing or using auto-tune on the road.

You either meant to write “with Dave” or you got the year wrong.

I saw both the Dave and Sammy versions of Van Halen, also. First time was the 1984 tour and then 5150. Of course the 1984 show was way better. I saw Dave play on his birthday in 1986 (at the end of the show Steve Vai and other band members dumped a b’day cake over Dave’s head) for the Eat 'Em and Smile tour and that was great as well.

Yeah, I misremembered the date, the show I saw with Sammy was on Halloween night, 1986.

Yeah, I’m not even a fan really (actually prefer Van Hagar) but man, I would sell plasma to see them. That is a slice of my teenage years there.

First new song:

Is Eddie’s son, Lumpy, still playing bass?

Everything you need to know about Van Halen.

I saw Van Halen twice right when they broke out, touring on their first and second albums. Undoubtedly some of the absolute best concerts I’ve ever seen, DLR was at the top of his game.

I first heard Van Halen at a party, some guy had their first album on cassette and we were all just blown away. But being a party, and a new band we’d never heard of before, I couldn’t remember what the hell it was the next day when I went out to buy a copy. Took a couple of misses until I found it.

Holy fuck that’s terrible.

Not impressed with the new song. It sounds like it should be an unreleased album track.

I’m not terribly offended by the song, but then again I liked VH3. Eddie’s tone is back (he lost it on the previously mentioned VH3), Alex is Alex, and Wolfgang (he’s no Michael Anthony) sounds good, but I wonder how much of the bass is actually Wolf and how much is dad. Dave’s voice sounds decent, but can he do it on the road? I heard they redid the vocals on this album a bunch of times, and on the road you only get one take.

To me the song is your typical Van Halen tune. Was anyone really expecting something groundbreaking?

Well, I was kind of hoping that it would have some, ya know, energy. There isn’t any. None.

ETA: It’s like these clips from upthread:

The second clip has no energy at all. It’s four people going thru the motions necessary to play the song, is all.