[QUOTE=Mouse_Maven]
**Noone Special ** and brendon_small, you both have a very good point. I’ll turn 30 in February and becoming a full-time student is very intimadating. I’m not a Stepford Student (young, blonde, beautiful). I have this fear of not finding a job after I get a BS. (Years of therapy and I still can’t shake my anti-intellectualism. Father has a Phd. Mother has 3 master degrees. Both chronically unemployed. Ex-spouse had a BS and couldn’t get a job. The sensible part of me knows that I’m not as picky as they were. I’ll do anything -within reason - to pay the bills. But I have this deep fear of BS=no job.)
[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Mouse_Maven]
**Noone Special ** and brendon_small, you both have a very good point. I’ll turn 30 in February and becoming a full-time student is very intimadating. I’m not a Stepford Student (young, blonde, beautiful). I have this fear of not finding a job after I get a BS. (Years of therapy and I still can’t shake my anti-intellectualism. Father has a Phd. Mother has 3 master degrees. Both chronically unemployed. Ex-spouse had a BS and couldn’t get a job. The sensible part of me knows that I’m not as picky as they were. I’ll do anything -within reason - to pay the bills. But I have this deep fear of BS=no job.)
[/QUOTE]
Just a couple things to mention as well (the person I tutor is late, I have a little time to post) turning 30 with a BS isn’t so bad. At least it’s not a BA
seriously, some of the best students I’ve worked with (say, because they hadn’t done algebra in so long and needed tutored in math to pass and graduate) were even over 45. Another thing, being a student in class, I’m only 20, and I love it when I’m in class with older, more experienced people (read:anyone over 25). They contribute a whole lot more, and usually have some idea of what it’s like in the real world, not just some random theory about it from someone who just graduated high school. Another thing I’ve learned in college is that the Stepford Students must be ignored. Both my gf and I were people who were picked on in high school and lower grades. I can’t claim this for her experience, but it’s different for me now. I still get picked on some in college, and I despise the Stepfords, but I notice when there are two or three in a class with me, chances are they won’t make it until midterm. This is wonderful because the serious students are left and the others are gone (not that all Stepford students are not serious, just in my experience). Of course, this is also a lot easier on me because I am in a small program (English Ed 7-12 - my college graduates about 1-2 a year in it) and I’m in upper level classes now, so the gen-eds are out of the way and it’s mostly people with similar majors.
Shayla (my gf) graduated a year ago and ran into a million problems with jobs. She has a BA in Sociology and (just monday) started on her MA in Criminology with hopes of a PhD in Forensic Psychology. The problem in our town, most jobs go to people with low qualifications, becuase they will stay in town and hold the job. The other problem was she had a good job in an office on campus when she was a student, but other than that she had two jobs in her whole life (lifeguarding and pizza-cook). She had no experience in a social work field, and not being a LSW, she was out of luck a lot. She was overqualified with a BA in most areas here, and ended up working as a receptionist for months before she got a “real job”. One did come up, and it turned out to be better than she had imagined (along with great pay/benefits, they gave her a food allowance at work, great health benefits, and a lot of freedom with her work*). Once she was hired there, she moved up quickly. Hopefully, by the time she finishes her masters, she will be a case manager.
Now this is only something I’ve heard, but in my experience true, after graduation it takes about 4-6 months to find a job. Of course, for most, those months are incredibly hard, but since you have experience and (would have) a degree, it should make a ton of difference. Also, if you aren’t picky, it’s even better!
Of course, I wish you the best of luck. School is tough, but remember, it’s certainly possible to obtain the BS. Good Luck!
Brendon