D & D and Thac0

Just a quick question that popped into my head:

When D &D is translated to languages other than English, what happens to Thac0? Since it’s an acronym, of course the acronym would be different in another language.

Hasn’t been THAC0 for two editions now. Other than that, I couldn’t tell you.

Ha! That’s funny. The last time I played was 2nd edition :smiley:

Yeah, they went and replaced it with something that was functionally the same, but which had the advantage of making sense.

In the German versions it’s ETW0 (“Erforderlicher Trefferwurf für Rüstungsklasse 0”), so yes, it’s a different acronym there.

Even though I’ve only played with English-language book (1st and 2nd Ed.), I know that in Spanish it is GAC0 (golpear armadura clase zero - to hit class zero armor).

It was common in Peru, when in the 80s there were no Spanish-language books, to play in Spanish but use all the lingo in English (e.g. “¿Cuál es tu saving throw contra crushing blow con tu *** ring of protection *** más tres?”.)

EXACTLY the information I was looking for! Thanks so much. Love the embellishment about D&D in Peru.

Have to say, though…ETW0 and GAC0 don’t quite roll of the tongue (mine, anyway) like thack-oh :smiley:

In French it’s TAC0 IIRC (Toucher Armure Classe 0). Should be TCA0 (Toucher Classe d’Armure 0) since AC becomes CA in French, but TCA0 just doesn’t roll off the tongue. Can’t make a “word” out of “tey-say-ah-oh” whereas we can pronounce Thac0 as “tah-koh” instead of “tey-ah-say-oh”; which I guess is why they kept it close to the original.

That being said, as **Aji **says, back when 2nd ed. was relevant half our sourcebooks were in English anyway (either because imports were cheaper or the books hadn’t been translated at all) so we’d mix and match more often than none. Besides, some stuff just sounds cooler in Ingliche. J’lance une faïeurbol ! :slight_smile:

How do you say “glaive-guisarme” in French?

(aside)
I once saw a classmate playing the French version of Diablo II. Apparently, “staff” translates to “baton” (despite the English baton being a wandlike thing), and “wand” translates to “baguette” (the same as the loaf of bread). According to the guy playing it, “baguette” is also the French word for the stick an orchestra conductor waves around.

I played a lot of AD&D2e and we would play in Dutch but stil use the game bookterms,
THAC0 and saving throws,

Later on we changed it, everything said in character was said in English but all Meta-conversation was in Duch. by then we were playing White Wolf games, or even Rule-less games

Yeah, same for Spain back when I started playing. Back then the only think which was translated was the 1st Ed Basic Box: the immense majority of modules, mags and whatnot were in English. I’ve seen people go “vale, ¿qué GAC0 tienes?” “¿eh?” “¿qué taco tienes, leches?” (where ‘taco’ = THAC0; GAC0 would also be pronounced gaco)

Littlebro came home from his Selectividad (a countrywide exam taken post-HS, essay-based) huffing “it’s a goddamn level 1 spell… you can get it at 4th level…” (numbers may be wrong, it’s been quite a while). The one word he could not remember for his English exam had been “web”. My mother forgave me for getting the Bros into DnD when she saw that it had gotten Middlebro to pay attention in English; became a fan of RPG when it got Littlebro to start reading for pleasure at age 14 (everybody else in the family was a bookworm).

I don’t know about Japanese D&D, but Japanese video games often use that language mix, particularly for buttons. Of all languages to do that, it’s one that has a completely different alphabet (or, really, two).

Japanese actually has at least four different writing systems in use: There’s kanji, which is basically Chinese characters (one character per concept, with 1-3 forming a word) and which is used for most writing; there are hiragana and katagana, which are both syllabiaries (one character per syllable), which is similar to but not quite the same thing as an alphabet (one character per sound, with usually multiple characters in a syllable), and there’s romanji, used sometimes to be trendy, which is just Japanese transliterated into the Roman alphabet.

Kana (hiragana and katakana) are used at least as much as kanji - possibly more. The older and more educated the audience something’s aimed at the more kanji it will have and the less likely those kanji will have furigana (hiragana placed next to/above the kanji to indicate how it’s to be read), but even something aimed at highly educated adults will have significant use of kana, because there are many words that aren’t ever written in kanji at all, and few (if any) non-nouns are written entirely in kanji. Even names will sometimes be written in kana (and not just foreign names that don’t have kanji to begin with). There are also names spelt with kanji that are only ever used in names, and names that use common kanji but read them differently than usual, but I don’t think furigana are as common in those cases as they honestly should be.