Dad jailed after he helps daughter buy heroin

A man has a daughter who is a heroin addict. Concerned about withdraws, he helped her buy heroin. Is he a good father or a bad father?

http://www.whio.com/news/news/crime-law/dad-jailed-after-he-helps-daughter-buy-heroin-in-d/nqfQc/

I’m not going to nominate him for father of the year.

Heroin is about as bad as a drug gets. I call it a cliff drug. A single use is enough to push a person over the edge.

A bad father. Kicking the can down the road doesn’t solve the problem, but now you’ve given some more money to the bunch of sociopaths and murderers who helped make it happen.

A desperate man in an impossible situation, and little else. While I won’t endorse the action outright, I can’t deny I would have considered doing the same in his situation if I felt like the local ER was more likely to call law enforcement on her than attempt to care for her.

Good father. I’ve seen someone in withdrawal and it is horrible. Even if you drag someone into treatment they don’t have one. They just replace the heroin with methadone.

I can sympathize with the difficulty of his situation. But he needed to face the harsh reality. His daughter was going to have to suffer through withdrawal if she was going to quit heroin. If he wasn’t prepared for that, he was accepting that she would keep using heroin until she died.

Bad father, he’s further enabling his drug addicted daughter and buying smack off the street you have no idea of the purity or even if it’s actually heroin and not something else that could be deadly. The girl should have been taken to a hospital or something. I don’t think he did the right thing but I still feel bad for him being in the situation of having a child abusing a dangerous drug. I’d rather see the charges dropped and the daughter put under medical care for the withdrawals and given some kind of support to help with her addiction.

Also given the few facts in the article the guy may be telling the truth but it’s possible they were both planning on using the drugs. It’s so severely wrong and dysfunctional but I’ve known people who did hardcore drugs with their parents, these things happen more often that you’d think.

Should’ve taken her to the hospital if he was that desparate. Terrible, terrible decision.

He probably knew what she would have resorted to if he didn’t buy them for her. And he couldn’t live with it. At least this way, he would be able to keep her close.

A horrible person has a choice between good and bad and chooses bad. His choices were bad and bad.

Right. Because of course an active heroin addict wants to be in the hospital. She’d be out of there in 5 minutes. Then what does he do? He won’t even know if she’s dead or alive.

Yeah, sorry pool and Guin, but a hospital is no solution. Without a psych hold they cannot force her to stay, and besides, they won’t–and really can’t–do anything about heroin withdrawal.

I agree completely that the guy’s choices were all shitty. I cannot fault him; I might have done the same thing in his shoes. He’s not a criminal, he’s not a bad person, and he’s not a terrible father.

Shame on Montgomery County … they released the heroin addict because it’ll be too expensive to provide treatment while she’s in jail … they kept the father solely because it’s cheaper to prosecute. If this is the state of law enforcement in Ohio, then maybe they deserve to have this heroin epidemic.

The father committed a felony … he had better options, I agree none were good, but he did have better options … my own kids knew I would call the police and report them … although the situation never came up so I honestly can’t say if I actually would have.

Bad father, go directly to jail, do not collect $200.

If that’s true, and that’s the actual reasoning behind her release and his prosecution respectively, watchwolf49, then that’s genuinely revolting.

It wouldn’t be my choice as a dad.

Good? Bad?

In the age of moral relativism, who knows?

Cite?

I agree that this is not the best a father in the world. If he was worried about his daughter, there are other ways to help her. I know it is possible to die from withdrawal symptoms, but methadone would have been a better choice.

Opioid withdrawal in and of itself is rarely truly life or health-threatening. The main exception is for pregnant addicts, as the withdrawal can have a bad effect on the embryo/fetus. So as a rule it’s not a good idea to risk life, limb, or freedom to get someone a fix for their withdrawal.

However, complicating this is the fact that opioid withdrawal can feel so awful that many addicts do self-harm, either in suicide attempts, or in attempts to inflict enough damage on themselves to justify getting opioids prescribed for them.

Sometimes there are no good solutions. Frankly, with that guy’s situation, his best bet may have been to call the local Narcotics Anonymous hotline and see if any members would be willing to come and sit and talk her thru the withdrawal. Sometimes a clean addict who’s been there and done that can make a difference.

Meanwhile we need better access to outpatient treatment, especially to meds like buprenorphine and methadone. Though I’ve seen both those meds diverted and abused for the opioid high, too. Sometimes supervised ‘cold turkey’ really is the best.

And yes, I’ve gone thru opioid withdrawal myself. Once via methadone (which made it easy peasy), once via clonidine (which blunted the worst of the symptoms) and once without anything to blunt the symptoms. After that last, medication-free withdrawal, I did not need further detoxes. Discomfort can be a great teaching tool.

People don’t keep using heroin because withdrawal is unpleasant. You get sick, it’s unpleasant, then you get over it. You don’t keep taking heroin just because you don’t want to detox.

Withdrawal is the easy part of beating opiate addiction, it isn’t even particularly dangerous like it is with some other types of drugs like alcohol. Detoxing from alcohol can kill you. Just about every opiate addict has gone through detox multiple times. Then you go outside after detoxing and start looking for more opiates. Not because you’re scared of detox, you’ve already done that, but because you like opiates.

Good father. Buying heroin often involves going into unsafe parts of town. He didn’t want his daughter unprotected out there. And cold turkey rarely works out well for addicts. Slowly weaning off is a far better prospect for successfully kicking the monkey off one’s back.