Damn it Google, stop being evil!

You might not have *noticed *that you did it, but you must have. There is literally *no way *that they would set it up to link two accounts that just happen to be open on the same computer at the same time.

PEBKAC, my dear neighbor.

What the hell is a “youtube message”? You mean one of those obnoxious fucking comments? If so I’m glad you were inconvenienced and I applaud google for their efforts.

Well, shit. I didn’t think it was that obvious.

No, a personal message to someone who had posted a video. He might have had a video that I have been searching for since 1979.

By the way, not all YouTube comments are created by drooling imbeciles, as not all YouTube videos are of people being kicked in the balls. My videos on this particular account are primarily of interest to people who were teens back in the 70s and 80s, and are well past their prime moronic behavior years.

Search for comments, and you’ll see, as John Lennon said, I’m not the only one. Two accounts, in two tabs of the same web browser viewing two linked sites from the same company? Yes.

I’ve got the same thing going on, only with Blogger instead of YouTube. I’ve got two Gmail addresses, one under my real name, and another that I use here and in the blogosphere.

If I post a comment on somebody’s Blogger blog, it tries to make me publish it under my real name, if I’m logged into my real-name Gmail account. And when I toggle things on the blog so I can post my comment under my online name, it logs me out of my real-name Gmail account, and logs me onto my other Gmail account.

I’d classify it as ‘mildly annoying.’ I wish they’d stop doing it, but it’s not something I give much thought to, once I’m away from the problem.

But like gaffa, I certainly can’t recall being asked whether I wanted my gmail and blogger accounts linked in any way, other than giving Blogger my non-real-name Gmail address when it asked for an email address back before Gmail and Blogger were connected. Hell, there shouldn’t even be a link between my real-name Gmail account and Blogger, because I’ve never blogged (or commented on others’ blogs) under my real name.

The proportion of non-moronic YouTube comments seems vanishingly small. Even the comments on YouTubes of Beethoven symphonies aren’t particularly worth reading, IMHO. It’s not just stupid videos that have tremendously stupid comments.

Never use Gmail as an active email account.
Never use Yahoo!mail as an active email account.

Either one has WAY to big a chance of linking together random stuff you don’t want linked.

The problem is that I do not wish to use my real e-mail account for anything that will be exposed on the web. And Hotmail is it’s own special hell.

One of my videos is to a piece of Philip Glass music. The comments are intelligent, if a bit repetitive (insert own joke here).

(insert own joke here)

There are tons of places out there to get a free email address.

The 10 Best Free Email Accounts for 2023 has a list of 17 free email services

On the UP side, you can (subject Google inviting you) link your YouTube and Adsense accounts - and make lovely pennies just from sitting back and letting people watch your videos.

I do appreciate the warning. I have 8 different YouTube accounts and I’m especially careful now that I don’t click on anything that might link my one and only Gmail account, which I never use and which is not used for any of them, to any of them.

The only reason there are moronic/rude/hateful/spammy YouTube comments is because lazy and/or ignorant people don’t moderate their damn channels. Idiots are absolutely not welcome on any of my channels and won’t be tolerated.

There are three very effective ways to keep the morons out.

1. Set Comment Approval, so you read the comments before they’re posted and decide if you want them posted,

2. if that’s not set, make sure you get e-mail notifications every time someone posts a comment, so you can see what’s written as soon as you see the e-mail, and

3. USE THE DAMN “REMOVE” BUTTON to get rid of the moronic comments! Seriously, if idiots are posting shit on your (general your) videos, YOU HAVE THE POWER to toss their sorry ass comments in the trash and block the cretins who posted!

If people would moderate/clean up their comments section, YouTube would be a much nicer place.

Wait…you can’t post on the blog if you’re not logged into your gmail account? Because, well…wouldn’t that be the problem, then? Just don’t log into your email and post on the blog at the same time? No?

I’ve not had the problem that the OP describes, but this took me exactly 60 seconds to find - hopefully it’s what you’re looking for:

http://www.youtube.com/my_account_unlink

Oh sure, help gaffa out before we get to heap all our scorn on him.

Thanks a lot, nerd.

:wink:

I’ve just opened a new Youtube account. After the first page, where you pick your new username, the next page very clearly (on the left) asks if you want to link to an existing Google account, and even more clearly (on the right) asks if you want to create a new account. I’m not sure where you went wrong here.

Yep. You’ll just have one master account and password that you use to log in to the Internet. Actually, that’s a pretty sweet idea. Maybe not for sensitive financial stuff but if I could have all my hundreds, nay thousands, of stupid god-damn website registrations like papajohns.com and Twitter and shit all rolled into one login, that would be amazing. I’m surprised nobody has tried to create a program for that.

I clicked on that link and it took me to my home page of the YouTube account I was currently logged into, the page that says over on the left,

Overview
Profile Setup
Customize Homepage
Playback Setup
Email Options
Privacy
Activity Sharing
Mobile Setup
Manage Account

there was a big pink banner up at the top saying “Your account is not currently linked to a Google Account” to which I gleefully clicked the “Get the fuck out of my sight” X.

However, now that you gave me the idea, I did a YouTube search for “my account unlink” and there are several how-to videos discussing it. I don’t need it, but gaffa does, and I might need it in the future, so thanks!