Daredevil cancelled on Netflix

Yeah, so I guess all these shows in the Marvel world are going to be done. If they don’t continue Daredevil, I doubt Punisher or Jessica Jones will go past their next seasons either.

Brief article here

Here’s the announcement.

I’m absolutely heartbroken. It’s the best thing on Netflix and Charlie Cox is better than any of the MCU actors.

At the same time, it would be hard (if not impossible) to improve on Season 3. And the end of Season 3 provides a fine ending for the series.

its because in the next year or two Disney is going to create its own Netflix service there not renewing any contracts for non tv broadcasting Disney owned property
one huge snag is warner just paid a huge fortune for exclusive tv rights of the star wars films for 4 or 5 years and they said the’ll go to court to keep them

meant to say :its because in the next year or two Disney is going to create its own Netflix service there not renewing any contracts for non tv broadcasting of Disney owned properties
one huge snag is warner just paid a huge fortune for exclusive tv rights of the star wars films for 4 or 5 years and they said the’ll go to court to keep them

as I said in the other dd thread : its because in the next year or two Disney is going to create its own Netflix service there not renewing any contracts for non tv broadcasting of Disney owned properties

Starz is going to get majorly burned because all their kids/family programming are Disney/Pixar movies ……

I’m wondering if Disney has anything to do with this, and whether or not Warner has issues with Disney. Anyone have any idea?

Perhaps they can pad out their programming by showing old Duran Duran videos. Like the one on the boat. The name of that song eludes me though…

OB

A Netflix executive came out after the cancellation of Luke Cage and said the IP rights contract was in Netflix’s favour. So I figure one of a few things has happened:
A) He was wrong and Disney found a way to retract the rights. (I find this unlikely, TV rights don’t usually work that way).
B) Netflix is cutting off its nose to spite it’s face, having now lost all other Disney related content.
C) Daredevil was expensive to make and it didn’t draw enough new subscribers to justify itself.
D) Disney drove a dump truck full of cash up to Netflix’s door and said we’d like to buy our IP rights back please.

I’d be surprised if Disney didn’t have something to do with it. Aren’t they planning to release their own streaming service in the near future?

Anyway, I’m slowly working through Daredevil season 3 and I think it’s the weakest Daredevil season yet. It’s still not bad, but there is a lot less action than I want out of a superhero series that should be really hitting its stride now.

I can’t imagine Disney can continue the same shows. This is a universe where a guy commits suicide by bashing his own face on wrought iron, and others chop off arms and butcher corpses under mind control.

This always confuses me. Yes, Disney wants to protect their family friendly label but they’ve got a tonne of other labels they can use. Is it reasonable to think Disney doesn’t want any of the grown up movie market?

Disney subsidiaries have released tons of rated R movies. They just don’t use the “Disney” brand name on that stuff. Don’t see why they couldn’t take a similar approach with Marvel.

Yeah, I’m certain they would want to, but they’ve been weird about their brand in the past, so a different marque would be more expected. I’ve seen some articles suggesting they’re going for family-friendly but now I don’t see much official corroboration.

Well, if I remember correctly Daredevil was the first Marvel show to launch on Netflix. They could have had a 4 or 5 year agreement and Disney informed Netflix they would not renew it. Not renewing is much different than “retracting”, nothing is ever in perpetuity and the owner always has time on their side.

Not sure what having “rights in your favour” can mean here expect for maybe that they get to retain broadcast rights to the shows they produced even if they can’t make more.

I would suspect that all the other series will expire in their own time and while Punisher and Jessica Jones have new seasons in development, there won’t be new seasons announced beyond that.

I think this will happen for the non-Marvel stuff. They aren’t going to walk away from the revenue that those R-rated Fox properties they bought can generate. I mean, Alien, Predator, Kingsman, Deadpool, Logan are just a few of the biggies.

Deadpool and Logan might be the exceptions because all the Marvel properties probably need to live under the Disney banner and these hard-core Netflix-MCU shows would probably go into wherever bucket those 2 characters land in. I doubt they create any more hard-R MCU titles though, which is a bummer. They’ll get sanitized down to PG-13 if they get made at all.

The others will either get sold (doubtful) or spun off into a separate studio that’s a wholly owned subsidiary of Disney, like Touchstone (or a retained Fox moniker, unlikely). Remember Disney-owned Touchstone made Gangs of New York, so this isn’t foreign ground for them.

I wonder if Disney+ will stream them though. They could lease these to Nexflix & Hulu or maybe HBO, Starz & Showtime if they want to keep Disney+ sanitary. Though if the rumors are true about Disney+ content being organized into “channels” I could imagine there being a “adult” themed channel available to parents and not co-mingled with the usual Disney fair.

I didn’t care for daredevil or jessica jones or luke cage. However I really enjoyed the PUnisher series and I am sad to see that go.

Yesterday morning, Neftlix announced that the character would still be on Netflix, suggesting this is not the end of their Marvel stuff. The suggestion is that they are having him appear in other shows.

I think the implication is the character may still return, but not in this incarnation.

I think this just refers to appearances in the final seasons of Jessica Jones and/or The Punisher.

Yeah, and maybe a final season of Defenders.