David Bowie is not homosexual, is he?

Everytime my wife sees Bowie on television, she says that he’s homosexual. She says that there was a rumor about him and Mick Jagger getting it on.

Now, I’ve heard other people say this as well. The thing is, I’ve never really read or seen anything official on his sexuality. I don’t believe that he is. What do you guys think?

Well, he certainly talked about being Bi in the 70s.

But then again, a big chunk of rock stars did.

And Bowie is now married to the model, Iman.

Take it with a grain of salt.

In one interview, Bowie claimed to be a “closet heterosexual” upon meeting Iman. He did admit to previous homosexual activities, though. Ultimately, who cares?

I think Bowie would fuck a tree if you suggested the idea to him.

Would it get him on the cover of Rolling Stone?

Queer Duck sings, “David Bowie is bi. My oh my.”
David Bowie sings, “there’s nothing that I won’t try.”
Openly Gator sings, “Let’s all cheer cus’ Bowie’s queer.”
Everyone sings, “David Bowie’s Bi!”

AT one point he seems to have lived as a bisexual. However, some years back he decided to go steady with his girl, and stopped being interested in men. I don’t know why. And I’m not sure there is a good answer to your question.

I remember the rumor about him and Mick Jagger - it was in all of the trash newspapers here in the states - but who believes what you read in them? (Well, I’m sure Batboy is true, but the rest?) I don’t have an answer beyond that though.

David Bowie hasn’t been very clear about his sexual preferences in interviews. Let’s start with the known facts. He was born in 1947. From 1970 to 1980 he was married to his first wife Angela Barnett. Since 1992 he’s been married to his second wife Iman. He had one child in each marriage.

He claimed to be bisexual at times in the '70’s. In recent interviews he has said that the bisexual aura was just part of the persona he was putting on at the time and that he never had any homosexual experiences. Other people who knew him during the '70’s say that he did have some homosexual experiences. It’s hard then to say what’s true. If I were to guess, I would say that he probably did have a few homosexual experiences back then, but he now no longer has any such desires and would like to forget what happened then.

Okey-dokey, let’s take a look at this.

Here is the Snopes article on Angela Bowie finding David in bed with Mick, naked; it’s kind of inconclusive.

If someone is bisexual, it means they’re attracted to both sexes. If that person gets into a committed relationship with another person, then they don’t necessarily stop being bisexual or stop being interested in people of the same gender; they are just faithful to the person to whom they’ve made a commitment.

Bisexuals can get married, have children, and still be bisexual. Bisexuals can be in committed relationships with people of their same sex, and still be bisexual.

Sexual orientation is best defined as a wide spectrum between strictly heterosexual and strictly homosexual, with bisexual somewhere in between. My guess is that Bowie falls somewhere between heterosexual and bisexual. Which is as good a place as any on the spectrum.

The Mick Jagger/David Bowie story was started by Angela, who claimed to walk in on them during sex, in her tell all autobio “Bacstage Passes”. Whether it’s true or whether it’s a broke celebrity ex trying to rake in a few more dimes before the sun sets forever on her vicarious fame, who knows?

MrVisible writes:

> If someone is bisexual, it means they’re attracted to both
> sexes. If that person gets into a committed relationship with
> another person, then they don’t necessarily stop being
> bisexual or stop being interested in people of the same
> gender; they are just faithful to the person to whom they’ve
> made a commitment.

Nobody’s disputing that definition of bisexuality. That’s not the question. The issue is whether Bowie had some homosexual experiences during the '70’s, as Angela and some others claim, or whether the bisexuality persona was just a put-on and he never had any homosexual experiences, as Bowie now says.

From US magazine, a direct quote from Bowie, dated 1995:

The reason I posted was to counter some of the misinformation about bisexuality that had been posted. Phrases such as “However, some years back he decided to go steady with his girl, and stopped being interested in men.” and “If I were to guess, I would say that he probably did have a few homosexual experiences back then, but he now no longer has any such desires and would like to forget what happened then.” Bisexuality is often misunderstood, and if a thread is going to address the issue, I figured some good information about the nature of bisexual orientation was in order.

In what sense is “If I were to guess, I would say that he probably did have a few homosexual experiences back then, but he now no longer has any such desires and would like to forget what happened then” misinformation?

Well, for one thing, it presumes that Mr. Bowie would like to forget about any homosexual experiences he may have had. Also, it presumes that Mr. Bowie’s bisexuality was something that he grew out of, when research indicates that sexual orientation rarely changes to that degree.

who cares?
he and iman seem happy with their relationship, surely that’s all that matters.

and in an interview with johnathan ross he said basically in the 70s he f***ed anything that stood still.
so i’d hardly say he’s denying anything.

I was trying to guess from Bowie’s statements what probably happened back in the '70’s. He now claims, in some interviews, that he had no homosexual experiences back then. In other interviews, such as the one you quote, he gets very evasive about what sexual experiences he had back then. Now, if, as I suspect is more likely, he did have homosexual experiences back then, he’s trying to cover up or at least have forgotten what he did back then (and what he claimed he did). Why else would he say the things he does in recent interviews if that weren’t true?

I can’t quite say that he’s ashamed of his homosexual experiences (there’s no evidence that he thinks homosexuality is wrong), but he’s trying to fudge his own history. Also, let me slightly change what I’ve said. I have no idea to what extent one’s sexual desires can change over one’s life. Whether or not Bowie has any sexual desires towards men, he’s apparently decided that to prove that he’s faithful to Iman he has to deny or at least forget the range of his sexual experiences back in the '70’s.

I read something dating to the late '80s or early '90s that said that Bowie had acknowledged a bisexual orientation in the past but claimed not to have one anymore. I don’t think we’ll ever really know, will we?

Do you like girls or boys?

It’s confusing these days.