Dazed And Confused--- the movie (spoilers, I think)

I got the DVD for cheap ( I get everything for cheap) and I was wondering if everyone in this movie went on to do something else I remember. Or did they do something and I just didn’t recognize them. And other questions.

Adam Goldberg (Mike, the geek)-- Does this guy make a movie where he is not the nerd who gets beat up (or killed-- Saving Private Ryan)
Marissa Ribisi-- Is she related to Giovanni (Phoebe from Friends “brother”)
Joey Laurence Adams-- Was she not Adam Sandler’s girlfriend in the movie where he got that kid mailed to him?

Parker Posey-- She’s in everything “B” isn’t she.

Mila Javovich-- “Mult-i-pass. Multipass.”

Matthew McCoaughy-- Playing bongos while naked and smoking pot in his livingroom. But here he has blonde hair. I almost didn’t recognize him.

Ben Affleck-- Pretty good at playing an ass. Didn’t think he’d become the romantic lead of this bunch.

Nicky Katt-- Whoda thunk he’d end up teaching these bunch of drug taking, partying teens.

Who else? I swear I’ve seen Jason Randell (Pink), Rory Cochtran (Slater the stoner), Sasha Jenson (fellow football senior) and Wiley Wiggins (Freshman hangout boy) elsewhere, but I don’t I can’t place them.

P.S. Were your high school days anything like this? Me, well, sorta. I graduated in '82 and lived in NYC, but we did have massive beach parties and a little bit of freshman torture going on. No, there were no paddles and chasing people home, but plenty of keggers and pot.

I think she’s staple of Indie films, not necessarily B-movies.

Rory Cochrane is going to be in CSI: Miami next season.

I graduated from high school in 1979 in New York, and now live in Austin, TX, where Richard Linklater lives, and where he filmed “Dazed and Confused.”

Was it accurate? Well, that depends on where you grew up. I never heard of senior girls pelting freshmen girls with eggs and driving them through the local car wash… but I have female friends from small towns in West Texas who tell me that used to be a time-honored custom.

Similarly, I never knew of senior males paddling freshmen, but again, I know guys from small towns in Texas who swear that it happened… indeed, that seniors regularly did far MORe humiliating things than that to freshmen, while teachers smiled and looked the other way.

Linklater captured the feel of the late 70s high school scene very well. The soundtrack was absolutely perfect. The characters felt very familiar to me. Everyone talked, dressed and behaved like people I really knew during that period… and yet, I didn’t enjoy the movie in the least.

The problem isn’t that Linklater’s movie is inaccurate… rather, it’s TOO accurate. Yes, high school in the 1970’s consisted, in large measure, of standing around, drinking beer, smoking pot, listening to Aerosmith, and waiting for something, ANYTHING to happen. But that wasn’t even much fun at the time! It’s even less interesting to watch other people do it on screen than it was for kids in the 70s to DO it!

Yep, Joey Lawrence Adams is in Big Daddy, as well as a few others (Jerry Maguire)… And Milla Jovovich was in Messenger: Joan of Arc, and Kuffs (with Christian Slater)…

And if I’m not mistaken, and I frequently am, Rory Cochrane was in Empire Records.

Homebrew– I stand corrected. Cynthia Rothrock she is not.

astorian– There is a scene in the movie where “Pink” bitches about “If these are the best years in my life, I’m fucked” or something like that. He says it while in the middle of a big party with a girl hanging off of him. The funny part was I remember thinking the same thing back then. And yet they really were some of the best years of my life.

SmackFu and dantheman– Does Rory go on about how Matha Washington used to have a bowl waiting for George to smoke when he got home and how she used to sell bales of Mary J on the side? (He really cracked me up through the entire movie.)

If this is a double post, blame the hamsters.

Heh. For many, many months after the movie came out on video, this was a running joke in our store… “She’d have a big, fat bowl just waiting for him when he got home…”

Joey Lauren Adams was not in Jerry Maguire. That was Renee Zellwiger. Joey Lauren Adams biggest one was probably Chasing Amy and both she and Rory Cochrane both were in Empire Records.

Jason London has a twin brother that is also an actor. Between the two of them they’ve been in lots of stuff.

Actually, those are the only ones I know. www.imdb.com would be your best bet. That’ll tell you everything.

You’re right, my mistake. I get those durn blondes mixed up all the time. Still, great cast for Dazed, considering so many of them were unknowns…

Hijacking my own thread–

We’ve got The Summer of 'American Graffiti for 50’s-60’s, Dazed and Confused for mid 70’s, Fast Times at Ridgemont High for the 'early 80s and The Breakfast Club for the late '80’s. When will we see the '90’s version of “High school high.”

And that’s what I get for acting so uppity. First I make a sloppy post, then I’m just plain wrong. :smack:

Renée Zellweger was in Empire Records, Joey Lauren Adams was in Mallrats. I swear, I can’t tell those two apart, either.

Split the difference, dan? :slight_smile:

I went to high school in the 90’s. The first time I saw that movie, I was so unbelievably stoned that I forgot I had seen it, and instead incorporated the entire film into my memories of high school. The next time I saw it, I was convinced that I knew these people.

I think I also repeatedly asked “What’s a beer bust?” Because I couldn’t remember that I had asked three times already. Why was everyone so upset with me?

Take away the hazing and the Texas accents and it nailed my high school years perfectly. I knew all those characters.

Well, they’re easy to confuse. Both played slutty characters in those movies, right? :slight_smile: Well, kinda. Oh, but then again, Zellweger was nominated for Bridget Jones’… But Adams is the one in the Kevin Smith films! Ah, now I got it.

Sure, Nymysys… split a keg? :>

Anytime, dear boy. We can toast to blondes, who all look alike to us. :wink:

In other news, Marissa Ribisi is Giovanni’s twin, Wiley Wiggins was in Waking Life and my favourite Parker Posey movie is either House of Yes or The Daytrippers.

What, not Party Girl? :slight_smile:

Now we need great quotes from the movie…

anyone…anyone…?

I liked the paddle names… “Fah-Q” and the “Soul Pole” :slight_smile:

“That’s what I like about high school girls, I get older and they stay the same age.”

And of course there was Slater’s “Martha Washington was cool. Yeah she was real hip. She used to have a bowl waiting for George when he got home.”

Both quotes are paraphrased.

My favorite quote is when Parker Posey/Darla exclaims “Lick me! All of you!” at the moontower beer bust. Love her.

My favorite quote is when Parker Posey/Darla exclaims “Lick me! All of you!” at the moontower beer bust. Love her.