Deal breakers on a new home...

I would like to be living in a new home within 2 years and I’ve been casually browsing homes listed for sale in the area I want to move in.
I was excited when a home I was looking at on a real estate website seemed on paper to have all I was looking for in a new home. The inside looked like it was my style and in great shape, the floor plan was ideal, the neighborhood was in the area i wanted and the asking price seemed reasonable.
Then I went on Google street view to check out the view from the front of the home and see the houses around the area. I freaked out when I realized there’s a cemetery directly across the street in full view of my front room window.
I then imagined myself owning this home, waking up in the morning with a yawn and a fresh cuppa java in hand opening my living room drapes to let some morning sun in to get the family day started only to be greeted on a daily basis by tombstones and crypts of all shapes and sizes in my window. I just don’t think I could live there.
Or consider picturing yourself sitting on your front porch on a beautiful summer evening and knowing in the pitch darkness, across your street are dead bodies.
Plus during a zombie apocalypse, I and mine would be one of the first infected.
I asked my partner whether he would mind having a graveyard for a view from his living room window and he said no.
What about you? Would that be a deal breaker for you? What other deal breakers on a new home do you have.
By the way, cemeteries in general don’t creep me out, but I just don’t want to have one as a major view from my house everyday. .

I don’t mind a church or a mall or a bar beside me because that only means i’m sitting in prime commercial real estate. What I mind being is backed up against a flood creek, or where horses or livestock are being raised/slaughtered (I once lived beside a race track - pheeewww…)

Three little letters: HOA.
I’m with the Israelis on this: Never again

Lots of rental properties in the area. Rentals generally mean poor upkeep by landlords, college kids, noisy parties, drug dealers, or any number of property destroying things. Sex offenders living nearby, especially if you have children. Proximity of RR lines or public transpo like trams, trolleys or streetcars.

Yep.

Proximity to power stations, the ones that look like mini-Eiffel towers. Stepped out of our car to look at a house for sale and I swear the hairs on my arm went up; the buzzing noise was bad, too.
I’m one who’d also not like to live near where animals are raised or slaughtered due to the smell. My folks live in an area full of home chicken barns for Tyson and Purdue and the stench is ungodly at times. (They saw and bought the house in late winter when there was no smell.)

Yep right next door our office. New place saw smoke a while back.

Burn 8-10 bodies/ day, the last few use almost no fuel.

Can I tell you how they get the bones down to a fine aggregate?

:eek:

QFT. This is the Number One, No Quarter item on our list.

Yep. HOA is a dealbreaker for me too. I don’t need any little Hitlers telling me I can’t have a storm door or that my welcome mat is the wrong color (I know people who lived in HOA neighborhoods who were actually told these things).

A cemetery would not bother me at all as long as it was reasonably well kept. I am a hobby photographer and one of my favored subjects is cemeteries, as a matter of fact. Some of them are really beautiful and can tell you quite a bit about the area in which they are situated.

HOA
Open Floor Plan
Built after 1945

I lived across from a cemetery for a few years (in a medium-rise apartment building). It was a nice place to take a walk, since it was huge, and it was nice a quiet most mornings.
We visited a house this week with a rather bizarre deal-breaker. It was the end unit of a row of townhouses, advertised with a “servitude” for the neighbour’s garage. We thought this meant a walkway, like to give access to get a lawnmower from the back to the front. The yard of the house we visited was mostly a single parking spot for the house.

Nope.

Turns out some idiot previous owner had given a legal, documented, throw-away-your-land RIGHT to the neighbour to DRIVE ACROSS THE BACKYARD to gain accces to his garage, whose door opened onto the yard (with a small encroachment too). In essence, we’d have to coordinate parking our car with our neighbour if we bought this place.

Nope, sorry, not gonna do it.

Since it’s a documented servitude (I don’t know the word in English?), it would be nearly impossible to reverse in court and would require the neighbour to demolish his garage. What a stupid, stupid situation.

Too bad, the house was nice otherwise, if somewhat overpriced.

I grew up two doors down from a cemetary - really about the best neighors you could ask for. Always kept their lawn looking wonderful, never any noise at night (lots of digging going on in the daytime though) and only the occasional traffic back-up. Much nicer than a church or school where special events are constantly clogging the streets.

For me, though, ponds. And most people seem to be willing to pay more to be next to one, which really confuses the heck out of me. I mean yes, if it were big enough and clean enough to swim in, a thousand times yes. But most of the ones in this area are basically dog sewage and mosquito breeding dreck. Don’t even get me started on the goose poop five months out of the year.

How is it possible that the houses nearest the pond actually cost more?!?

ETA: mnemo We would call that an easement. A right of access easement is almost impossible to get rid of here too.

It would depend on the cemetary and how well groomed it is and how often accessed. There are some that are lovely to look at, stroll through, and even for kids to play in. Others are surrounded with chain link fence or used by drug clients or worse. But in general, I just think of it as a park.

I believe the English word for “servitude” is easement.

Yep.

I would have considered “across from the cemetery” a plus: that’s unlikely to be replaced by a tall building any time soon.

HOA
Airport
Train tracks.

Across from cemetery: Not too bad. There will probably never be a tall building that will block your view or the sunlight. Never a Walmart across the street. Nobody installing an ugly popup.

A lot would depend on what the specific view was, though. If there was some ugly giant cement cross visible I probably wouldn’t go for it. If it was a tall brick wall, it would depend on how much view was left above the tall brick wall.

My dealbreaker was an HOA as many in this thread have said. I also won’t live in anything that’s too new. Has to be seasoned for at least 30 years. Also, I will never again buy a house that still has shag carpet. I am DONE with taking out the shag carpeting. (Only in everyplace I’ve lived since 1976.) Really, this stuff should be totally defunct by now, and I’ve done my part. If I ever encounter another place with shag there is something badly wrong.

I could deal. At least they’d be quiet neighbors.

I side with the “no HOA” contingent. I also agree with not wanting to live near slaughterhouses, stables, or crematoria.

I love cemeteries, they’re very peaceful. I wouldn’t have a problem living across from one.

No HOAs, not along a road with a speed limit > 35 (too noisy, too much traffic, risk of someone crashing at high speed through my yard/home), and nowhere near a body of floodable water. There was a rather large lake in my hometown that caused problems for a LOT of people every few years.