Dealing with friction burns

Yesterday I was feeling under the weather. It happens, I know.

But, I also during the day seem to have caught a nice patch of friction burn on my left shin. Don’t ask me where from, I can’t tell you. It hurts like blazes, is rather warm to the touch, and makes walking difficult.

Besides waiting for it to cool down and heal in its own, what can I do? I have to work tomorrow, and little kiddies are not responsive to “Stay here, because I can’t walk properly!”

I don’t want to alarm you - but maybe you should be alarmed - and IANADoctor - but I think you should see one ASAP.

It sounds like it might be Cellulitis to me.

Sounds like flesh-eating bacteria to me.

Cheers, you two. I’m feeling so relieved right now. :stuck_out_tongue:

Mangetout, I think I will make an appointment with my GP, just in case.

I would - there’s quite a strong match between the symptoms you’ve described and the classic symptoms of Cellulitis (your feeling under the weather yesterday included).

In the meantime between now and your appoinment with the GP, keep an eye on the affected area - if you observe anything that looks like red streaks spreading out from it, get yourself straight to an emergency clinic.

And a poultice couldn’t hurt. Well, maybe it could. Nevertheless, it might be worth a shot. What’s the worst that could happen, right?

My leg could fall off, and then where would I be? :stuck_out_tongue:

Ummm…

Don’t put a poultice on it - see a doctor. Nobody here can, or *should *recommend a treatment.

I know that, and I will see a doctor about it. It does suck.

Please let us know how you get on…

Bah. It would be a small price to pay for…

Ah…

Ahem.

It’s a sucking wound too!!! My God, he has a lung in his leg!!

‘He’ is a ‘she’. :wink:

The moment I see a pair of eyes emerge is when I get out the blowtorch.

FWIW, I generally rub my ears and inner thighs down with petroleum jelly before a rugby match, to prevent friction burns on them.

You could team up with Heather Mills :stuck_out_tongue:

I knew I was opening myself up for comments like that…

So I’m not the only one who thought of that?

This was the last pit post under yours.

Weaver of Nightmares, the best thing to do is consult your doctor. Medical advice given on a message board is dubious at best, and downright harmful at worst. (“Poultice” for example.) In light of that, we ask that you not start threads seeking medical advice; your doctor is the best person for the job.