AAARRRGGGGHHHH!!! I am so fucking tired of ads for the Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts DVD series. In bullet points, since I don’t trust myself to cobble together coherent paragraphs at this juncture:
- Ruth Buzzi hitting everyone in sight with her goddamn purse. When was this EVER funny?
- And who the hell was/is Ruth Buzzi anyway? I recognize literally every other old, fat, alcoholic, washed-up or dead star on this program, but not Ms. Buzzi.
- Rich Little (“hosting” the ad) smugly proclaiming that he thinks this was the Golden Age of Comedy and has never been surpassed. Right, Rich. A bunch of drunk fiftysomethings, unloading zingers on each other that are slower and more obvious in coming than a right hook from Butterbean. Nope, we’ve never topped that.
- Tim Conway standing in a hole in the ground, wearing his Dorf suit and swinging a sawed-off pitching wedge. See comment #1, multiply by fifteen.
- Everyone making fun of Dean Martin’s singing. Everyone making fun of Ruth Buzzi’s ugliness. Ruth goes all Jet Li with her purse. Everyone making fun of Ronald Reagan’s movies. Everyone making fun of Frank Sinatra’s purported ties to organized crime. Lather, rinse, and repeat. How did they make a series out of this shit?
Who thought this was a good idea (to re-release on video)? Even at the time they originally aired, this was canned nostalgia. Most of those people’s heyday was the 50s and maybe the early 60s. By the time the show aired, it was for people in their 40s and 50s to see these old stars make fun of each other.
Who’s going to watch it now? People who are now in their 70s and 80s, if not older. Yep, and that’s why they sell it the way they do: that crooked old bilk-the-geezers trick in which they send you the first one free (after taking your credit card number), and then “two more every two months or so. If you decide to keep them, pay just $19.99 plus shipping and handling. You can cancel at any time [by returning the two DVDs at your expense and receiving a refund less s+h].”
Has anyone else seen this godawful ad? It’s been running for years.