Dear Co-Worker: Joking About Dating a 16 Year Old Girl Is _Not_ Amusing

How about 17 and a 23 year old?

18 and a 24 year old?

I think it’s fair to be guided by the law. Now, I absolutely agree that a lrage percentage of sixteen-year-olds are not ripe for a relationship with a twenty-two year old. But I’m unwilling to draw the line so firmly as to say that EVERY sixteen-year-old is too young. I have known some pretty sharp sixteen year olds. If modesty permits, I might opine that I was once such a sixteen-year-old.

And for what it’s worth, my great-aunt married by great-uncle when she was 16, and he was 28. They had a marriage that lasted 61 years, ended by his death. They had six kids and a happy house both with the kids, and after they grew up. Are you suggesting that he was a molester?

• Rick

I agree. You’re right. I’m disputing the idea that there is something per se wrong with the idea of the relationship, but you’re absolutely correct that the approach of this particular Don Juan is out of bounds and icky.

I agree completely.

• Rick

Your Great Aunt married your Great Uncle? Isn`t that incest?

It`s the way you worded it… :smiley:

In situations like this it’s not so much the teenagers motivations I’m worried about. Rather, it’s why exactly a twenty-something or older would be interested in a high-school kid (relationship-ise, not lust-wise). My gut tells me that more often than not it’s because their extra years gives them an edge when it comes to manipulating and controlling the girls.

I had a friend in HS who’s turned into a dirty old man. He’s 27 now and dating a 16 year old for the past year and a half (do the math). His last girlfriend was 15 when they started going out and 18 when he dumped her for the younger girl. Hork.

Laws don’t necessarily have anything to do with right or wrong. 22 and 16 is wrong irregardless of what the law says.

I agree with Bricker and Gobear here. Hell, my wife and I are 5 years apart in age…

As an aside, I have a story which is in-line with the OP.

My brother worked with a guy and they were pretty close. My brother is in his early 20’s and this guy was married with a teen and in his 40’s. Good relationship between the two if them. The guy used to joke about young girls on a pretty regular basis, and it was a real joke between them.

Well, he lost touch of this dude for about a year and showed up at the guys house where he was shooed off by a very angry daughter and wife. He never could figure it out until he ran into another cow-orker who said that wasn’t it “sad about so-and-so”? He coerced the former cow-orker into telling him what he meant…

Well, turns out that my brother’s buddy got arrested and charged for having relationships with 2 underage(but girls on a softball team. My brother was sick about the underage joke thing for weeks. It really creeped him out.

Sam

It’s usually polite to read the entire thread before posting.

Kalimero and Bricker. My statement was too generalised. I should have said 16 is USUALLY too young for a 22 year old. There are always going to be exceptions to the rules, as your posts show.

Yikes, I should clarify something…

When I say “…with a teen…” I mean he was married to a woman his own age and had a teenaged daughter. Not that he was married to a teen LoL

Sam

I replied to a specific post. Did you miss the quote marks? :rolleyes: The guy in OP is a lecheruous asshole that if talking about my 16yr old daughter would have gotten his ass kicked if it makes you feel any better. :wink:

In Kansas at least, the age of consent for sex is 16. The exceptions to this are if the age difference between the couple is more than 4 years. In other words, if you are 16, you can have a 16 -20 year old partner, as long as there are no more than 4 years age difference. You can’t be with anyone younger than yourself either. Once you are 18, you can date people older than 4 years etc.

From this site I think it’s unfair, and needs to be re-written to treat people of all sexual proclivities equallly.

Hoo, boy, something tells me I’m gonna regret this post.

I think auto-heaping labels of “pervert” on this guy isn’t very fair.

I am 30 years old. I have a good friend, Joey (female, short for Josette), who has a 14(ish?) year-old daughter, Veronica. Every so often, when Joey and I are hanging out, we’ll get to talkin’ about our near-miss hookup stories, the latest weirdo that hit on one of us in the bar, etc., until it breaks down into one big pity-party about how we’ll be single forever, waaaa waaaa waaa! This goes on until, pretty much every time, I give Joey that dirty-old-man look, and ask in my best pervert voice “How 'bout Veronica? You think I could take her to her homecoming dance?” This invariably earns me a punch in the arm, and sends the pity-party into a fierce ribbing session.

Now, I am in no way attracted to Veronica. Maybe if I were 14 myself, as I can see the potential for pretty there, and she has quite a sharp wit, but from my perspective at 30, she just looks and acts like a kid to me. The whole idea is nothing more than a joke.

And no, the funny part of the joke isn’t “a perv is preying on a minor!” Part of the funny is the rise it gets out of Joey, and part of it is just the sheer absurdity of it, but mostly, the joke is on the joker. The real joke is “oh my god, look what a HUGE loser I am.”

A similar type of joke is when I’m hanging out with my “ethnic” friends (please God, don’t let me offend the PC-Nazi’s!), the first thing we usually do (if it isn’t completely inappropriate where we are at) is trade the latest racist jokes we’ve heard. The reason we laugh at those jokes isn’t the intended punch line (“Haha! Black kids jumping on the bed get their afros stuck in the velcro!”), but because we can’t believe the outlandish bullshit the rednecks can come with, and the funnier they try to be, the stupider they make themselves look.

I think few people “see the hilarity in the thought of adults having sex with adolescents”. When you hear the joke about “Mr S. keeping a student after class, wink wink!” you have to peel away that layer of the joke to get to the funny part; it’s an outlandish way of saying Mr S. is such a loser - let’s laugh at Mr S.

True, the guy in the OP might be testing the waters with his jokes, but generally I’d say if that was the case, the jokes would stop when no signs of approval were given. He’s probably only guilty of bad comedy - not understanding his audience and not knowing when to let go of a tired old joke. He could even be flirting with the mom, if he’s just trying to get a rise out of her.

My boss annoys me. When he tells jokes, I don’t find them funny - just annoying. Probably if someone else told them, or if I didn’t find other things about him so annoying, I’d think at least some of them were pretty funny. That’s human nature.

But, if your coworker is beating a tired old joke to death, beat back with an even more worn-out joke. Respond to his jokes with your best Beavis & Butthead laugh, or a good Dave Chapelle, HUUWHAT!?!? (because I agree with Tremmie, people are wearing this originally excellent comedy out fast). Hopefully he’ll get the message.

OK, I’m done. Flame me.

Why? Most 16 year olds are physically developed. They’re allowed to drive a car in the US. Many of them go to work and pay taxes. Many of them are or have been in a relationship.
I can see why the age of consent is 18 in many countries. One could argue that it’s more likely for a 16 year old to be exploited. But that’s not necessarily the case.

Although I’d disagree with it, I could accept the age of consent to be 18 as a law. I cannot accept it as a moral imperative.

Gah! Didn’t put the rest of what I thought down. I too, think it’s wrong to continiously talk about your libido at work. ESPECIALLY around the young teen’s mother, and her mother’s co-workers. Start keeping a log to prove how often he does it maybe? Report it to the proper people at work, so they can tell him to cut it out? It’s become a problem, and needs to be stopped. Good luck.

[the dude]
that’s just like… your opinion… man.
[/the dude]

Bestiality too?

How would that work in dog years…?

You quoted a specific post, and then made a gross generalization with the comment:

There are several posts in this thread that mention family members or acquaintances who had such relationships, and have been happily married for 20+ years. That would make your comment either (a) incredibly rude or (b) evidence that you ignored or failed to read those posts.

Again, it’s polite to read the entire thread before you post your bullshit generalizations.

Despite development, they aren’t adults. They aren’t treated as such by society or by government. Just because legislators got together and figured out who had the youngest piece of ass on the side and put it into law just doesn’t fly with me.

I agree that the man in the OP is acting inappropriately.

However.

When I met New & Improved Scott I was 16, and we started dating when I was 17 and he was 22. I would argue, seeing as we are still doing fantastically 4 years later, my friends and family approve of him etc., that some people here might want to rethink their generalisations.

NoClueBoy

/cranky voice *
No, not bestiality. Quit putting words in my mouth, you had to dig there to pull that up.
cranky voice/

I was speaking of same sex partners versus opposite sex partners, which is tacitly implied in my post, due to the last line in it’s quote about the leniency only applying to heterosexual teens.
*****Yeah, I’m cranky today. I couldn’t sleep last night due to severe pain in my kidney area, I think I have a kidney infection again, I have a doctor’s appointment today.