Dear Mel Gibson........

Oh, and Mel’s scum – saying in public that his ex would go to hell because she wasn’t Catholic (not STRICTLY true – she’s Anglican, and the church doesn’t necessarily teach that non-Catholic Christians aren’t saved)

Or when he defended his Holocaust-denying father. He said he wasn’t a Holocaust denier in one breath, then said that his father had never lied to him in another.

And he’s starting to look like Al Bundy.

All I can say is that it looks like Mel has put a lot of miles on that poor girlfriend.

He can put story and pictures and sounds together in a compelling way, I’ll give him that. But he sure is loony.

When South park and even the Simpsons (I think) came out and basically said as much, were they being prescient, or was it common knowledge in the industry?

So…she was asking for it?
This is the automatic conclusion to a woman who has borne children to two celebrities?

Racism’s bad, but we’ll give sexism a pass, huh?
Seems I’ve learned more than I need to know about Mel and MPB this morning.

That’s the best kind, or, band name.

He really took a hit after the anti-Semitic/sugartits incident, but he was able to somewhat overcome it, because, let’s face it, people say stupid shit when they’re drunk.
Racism and domestic abuse, however, are a toxic combination for someone in the public eye. He might have been able to get away with one or the other, assuming he was willing to grovel to the right people for forgiveness, but this will probably fatally wound what career he has left.
It’s hard to believe now that this guy was once one of the most bankable stars in the world and boasted a sterling personal reputation, sort of the George Clooney of his day. Now he’s on track to become the next Michael Richards.

Maybe Gibson’s next step should be to claim that he suffered a brain injury from getting in a violent fight with her and sustained Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy, promoting aggressive and assholish behavior which he can’t control.

This is a justification recently raised in the case of deceased Cincinnati Bengals football player Chris Henry (who died when he fell off a pickup truck during an altercation with his live-in girlfriend, after a series of run-ins with the law) and also postulated for Pittsburgh’s Ben Roethlisberger, accused rapist.

Can too many action movies harm your brain? (I’ve always suspected this is the case for viewers, but maybe acting in them is even worse).

I’ll admit I wondered for a few seconds what Pirates of the Caribbean had to do with Mel Gibson’s believability* as a Christian… :smack:

*[sub]creed cred?[/sub]

I’m sure Mel Gibson is someone I wouldn’t like in person, but if I’m still going to see Roman Polanski movies in the theater, and what he did is an order of magnitude worse than anything I know Gibson has done, then I don’t imagine it’ll have any impact on whether I watch his movies.

So is the knocking out teeth thing true? That seems a lot worse the drukin’ screeds against jews or using racial slurs while fighting with the ex. And you’d think something like that would lead to some legal repercussions, but this is the first I’ve heard of it.

(and, FWIW, I agree with obfusciatrist, celebrities being awful people IRL doesn’t usually keep me from patronizing their work if I’m interested in it).

He might not star in Hollywood blockbusters anymore, but I doubt Gibson can be banished to obscurity. He can finance his own projects, like he did for The Passion of the Christ, so all he needs is a distributor. Unfortunately, the little piece of shit is worth in the neighborhood of a billion dollars, or was before his divorce.

That article read like a game of hangman.

Agreed. I’m done with him. On to the trash heap of history you go!

So if the Klan made really good ice cream, you’d stand in line for a scoop? Why? Why would you deliberately finance hateful goals?

Thanks.

I haven’t and will not see Passion of the Christ; that much gore makes me ill. I’d heard something similar about Apocalypto, but in fact I couldn’t tell you anything about it.

Okay.

Lets say he only says this crazy, hateful stuff once in a great while when pretty darn mad and drunk.

But, then you have gobs of blacks, jews, women, gingers, whatevers that swear up and down that in normal day to day activities he’s never been that way, and if anything he’s bent over backwards to be fair, nice, and respectful of everyone he comes in contact with (I have no idea whether this is true or not).

If that is the case, ISTM this more along the lines of “thought crime” and not just that but a drunken ass thought crime.

Yeah, MPB in Salt Lake, you were kidding with the “swimming in a puddle of semen and feces” quote about the girlfriend, right? That’s just a flat-out whacky comment.

Did someone mention klan flavored icecream? Gimme a double scoop.

What on earth does someone’s racist beliefs have to do with how delicous their ice cream is?

I don’t know enough about economics or about people’s personal belief system to avoid ‘financing hateful goals’. Was Walt Disney anti-semetic? Should I have taken my daughter to see the Princess and the Frog? Is Walmart abusive and monstrous to their employees? Does Nike run sweatshops? I’m not about to keep up with everyone’s issues that they have. The klan doesn’t like blacks and Jews? That’s their problem. No reason for me to miss out on yummy ice cream.

He’s not being prosecuted (or persecuted), people have simply decided they don’t like him. People are within their rights to withhold approval from people who do and say stupid shit.

If Tina Turner is there wearing chainmail, I would soooo buy tickets.