So gabriela , were you correct about how far of a drop a neck-snapping needs to be? After all, your anectodal data seems to be wrong? Hope that people aren’t getting convicted on your say so…
[QUOTE=athelas]
A firing squad. Preferably a circular one.
[/QUOTE]
Summon the Unitarians.
[QUOTE=Scissorjack]
It appears that the OP is in favour of Capital Punishment.
[/QUOTE]
actually, i am not. but i can’t do anything about the fact that it exists places where i don’t get a vote.
anyway, the reason i asked the question is that if one is put in a position where death is certain, but can choose the method of death, that choice must say something about the person. i’m not sure what it says, that’s maybe for another thread. but it’s something.
and i second death by snoo-snoo, though by the rules of the op, it’s an invalid choice. so i’ll go with hanging, because it seems to me a slightly less violent way to die.
I’d choose the cap(s). For that matter, toss me feet first into a tree chipper. Done in a matter of seconds.
Definitely firing squad for me, should the authorities finally catch up with me.
What particular aspect of the videos and examinations led you to this sweeping comment that you’re never conscious for the moment of impact? A judo expert exerting his will on someone’s throat is a bizarre analogy to bring up. What if your judo expert was up against another and so cocked his neck and flexed the proper muscles to protect those sensitive zones? Further, what if he backflipped off the podium and ass-kicked his way out of there? How do your theories explain that?
Back to the OP:
Personally, and for partially undefinable reasons, I’d prefer being shot. Somehow, getting solidly smacked to cause death seems more natural than having your neck yanked. Maybe it’s the fact that i’ve been hit plenty in life but haven’t had my neck yanked - death by hard hit just feels more indigenous*.
*reminds me of studies i read of but can’t find cites for that show more people are afraid of heights than speed, even though way more people die nowadays due to excessive speed rather than excessive height.
[QUOTE=gabriela]
So why don’t we agree to disagree. When a judo nidan chokes you out, it takes so short an interval that you cannot experience conscious thought; unless he takes great effort to choke you slowly, in which case you might have those eight to fifteen seconds.
[/quote]
These people disagree with you:
I don’t wish to continue this hijack any further than necessary, so I’ll only note that this Wikipedia article with an extensive list of references says more or less the same thing about chokeholds:
I’m going to bow out at this point, but if you’d like to continue this discussion in a more appropriate venue elsewhere, I’d be happy to. ![]()
[/hijack]
[QUOTE=bob_loblaw]
actually, i am not. but i can’t do anything about the fact that it exists places where i don’t get a vote.
[/QUOTE]
You are punishing me by not using capital letters.
[QUOTE=Q.E.D.]
[I’m going to bow out at this point, but if you’d like to continue this discussion in a more appropriate venue elsewhere, I’d be happy to. ![]()
[/hijack]
[/QUOTE]
Naah, I’d rather not. Let’s agree to disagree.
[QUOTE=Common Tater]
For whatever reason, death by firing squad has been or is considered a bit more honorable than hanging.
[/QUOTE]
hanging is seen as a common criminal’s execution, whereas a firing squad is seen as a soldier’s death. Herman Goering made this argument when he begged not be hung.
I’d rather be shot - and to do so pondering the irony that a nation celebrating its’ ascention to democacy and the supposedly civilised world does so by executing one of its’ own citizens (albeit a sonofabitch).
mm
[QUOTE=Fiveyearlurker]
Firing squad somehow seems less humiliating.
[/QUOTE]
That’s it for me too, although I’ve an idea that a few bullets through my torso will finish me off quicker than a botched hanging.
Although, with Hussein, what’re the odds the firing squad all aim for the groin? ![]()
[QUOTE=silenus]
Firing squad, but I think I’d prefer the Soviet method. When I’m being led out of my cell one day for exercise, hidden behind the door is a man with a pistol. As I turn down the hall, one bullet behind the ear. Quick, efficient and no chance to tense up.
[/QUOTE]
That is one Soviet method of execution.
Another is being fed, alive & feet first, into a crematory furnace.
You should have specified.
I mean, before we filled out the forms.
Ah!
Too bad… Barbecue, anyone? ![]()
[QUOTE=Bosda Di’Chi of Tricor]
Another is being fed, alive & feet first, into a crematory furnace.
[/QUOTE]
I’m curious.
Can you tell me where you read this piece of information?
[QUOTE=Chez Guevara]
I’m curious.
Can you tell me where you read this piece of information?
[/QUOTE]
A volume entitled a History Of Espionage. It was a penalty carried out for treason/espionage.
Thank you.
Would that be Hidden Secrets: The Complete History of Espionage and the Technology Used to Support It by David Owen & Antonio J. Mendez
or
The Enemy Within: A History of Espionage by Terry Crowdy.
I ask because I have an interest in the history of the Soviet Union and I haven’t come across such a book. Not that I’ve looked very assiduously.
I would definately take being shot over being hung.
To continue the above slight hijack, I think that if I were on a firing squad I could tell if the round in my rifle was live or a blank by the sound and recoil when I fired.
[QUOTE=Chez Guevara]
Thank you.
Would that be Hidden Secrets: The Complete History of Espionage and the Technology Used to Support It by David Owen & Antonio J. Mendez
or
The Enemy Within: A History of Espionage by Terry Crowdy.
I ask because I have an interest in the history of the Soviet Union and I haven’t come across such a book. Not that I’ve looked very assiduously.
[/QUOTE]
I…don’t remember.
:smack: :smack: :smack: :smack: :smack: :smack: :smack: :smack:
online reference here.
wiki reference
Just so you know, for your work, that last bit doesn’t seem as ironclad as you state it nor the requirement of 12 to 15 feet for the drop. From emedecine:
Interestingly enough, that article also brings up judo strangle holds.