Death of Olympic Gold Medallist

Sandra Schmirler, skip of the team that won the first Olympic Gold medal for women’s curling, died of cancer on Thursday, in Regina, Saskatchewan, at age 36. She left a husband and two daughters, 2 years and 8 months old.

People in Saskatchewan and elsewhere in Canada are mourning her - she’s been described as the “Olympian who lived next door,” because she stayed an ordinary person who did extraordinary things in her sport. We laughed and cried with her for a decade, watching her win three national championships, three world championships, and gold at Nagano.

The Government of Saskatchewan ordered all flags at government buildings at half mast, an honour normally reserved for the Royal Family, Governors General and Lt. Governors.

The funeral will be televised nationally on TSN.

We’ll miss her.

and the stars o’erhead were dancing heel to toe

I watched a tribute to her this morning. What terribly sad news. She was an incredible woman and role model for Canadian women.

We are, each of us angels with only one wing,and we can only fly by embracing one another

I was at the hospital having lunch with mom when we heard the news over the tv in the lounge. I thought mom was gonna cry. She never cries.

Only a few weeks ago,she was in Moncton, inspiring everyone, and then POOF, she is gone.

those poor babies she left behind. They will not remember her. She must have tried very hard to stay, it would be hard to let go and die peacefully and leave those little girls behind.

Yes, Kelli, plus her husband - I think they’d only been married about 5 years. All those people in Saskatchewan and Canada who feel they know her, and yet her two daughters never will.

They had a tribute to her at the opening of the Brier today in Saskatoon - a video of great moments, including that famous angle-raise-takeout, with “Will you remember me?” playing in the background. Her team was there, laughing and crying. The piper played “Going Home” - same tune as at Payne Stewart’s funeral.

hmmm - seems to be a Canadians-only topic

Probably because nobody outside of Canada actually knows anything about curling.

Not true! The swiss are also very good at curling (gold medal, Nagano, 1998.)

From what I’ve read of Sandra Schmirler, she was a genuinely nice person and excelled in her sport. I’m not going to say it’s sad she died because she won gold medals in curling, but it’s sad that her two daughter will not get to know their mother.

Arnold,

I agree - I remember your men’s time was good at Nagano (also remember the cow bells the Swiss fans kept ringing at good shots).

Did Canada get the silver in that one? I kept thinking the skip of our team looked just like Dilbert.

Curling’s a popular sport in New Zealand too, but I gotta say, if she’s a Canadian curler, then it’s not really a surprise most of us have never heard of her.

Cancer deaths suck.

I hereby dedicate my 1000th post on this board to Sandra Schmirler and the family she had to leave behind.

Yes, the Canadians got the silver. Actually the captain of the swiss team (Patrick Huerlimann) and the captain of the Canadian team (?) were good friends, often stayed at each other’s house, and the canadian had been to Patrick Huerlimann’s wedding. After winning, Patrick Huerlimann told the press that his opponent was not in good form and usually played much better.

I think Sandra’s passing has saddened us all from coast-to-coast. At the risk of sounding corny, there was something typically Canadian in her style. My father is a long-time curler and he’s moping about the house, upset about the passing of a person he never met, but had a bond with. I guess we all feel that way.

My fate keeps getting in the way of my destiny.