Decoding woman-speak

Wow. This thread is certainly being taken entirely too seriously.

Yet another example of where the woman takes a general comment and personalizes it. Typical.
…What?? :wink:

I haven’t gone to the bathroom with the lights out.

Ah, so you only care about sexism if it hits you. Gotcha.

Again, if you have a problem, go over to that thread yourself. I’m handling this one very well :slight_smile:

Well, it is all about me, you know :wink:

Again, if you have a problem, go over to that thread yourself.
Yes, I only care about sexism when it hits me.

I’m handling this one very well
I’m getting slapped, but modern strong proud independent women like me don’t get slapped, so I’ll pretend I’m doing fine.

Well, it is all about me, you know
Well… No, this one actually seems to be straight-talking. Fancy that.

Only by one person.

“I’m handling this one very well” + “Well, it is all about me, you know”
Why aren’t any other women backing me up?
Seriously, this thread needs to get back to it’s original light humor. Hmm, that’s a bit of an oxymoronic statement, though isn’t it ?

I love you.
*I don’t care what you think or where our relationship is right now, you **will *say the words.

I don’t think I can deal with a relationship right now.
I can’t deal with you ever because you’re a loser. Back away slowly, and don’t look me in the eye.

Notice anything different me?
Because see I’ve parted my hair a millimiter to the left, and I’ve plucked 4 eyebrows and drew them back in, and instead of my normal cherry lipstick, it’s strawberry. Come on, I’m a new woman!!!

Are you busy?
Because I just happen to have this honey do list

I’m going to totally back Elysian on this one. Usually when this kind of stuff comes up, I blow it off, figuring it’s not worth my time.

But Elysian has a very valid point. Please don’t lump me in with 51% of the population. Please don’t assume that everything I say is a calculated attempt to screw you over. Please don’t keep patronize me (or Elysian, or any other woman) by patting me on the head, and telling me that you know what I mean better then I do.

You might think you’re being witty and intelligent by discovering what women “really mean” when we say something. I think you are failing to listen to what we really have to say and triviallizing us. So, now you can all go back to your no-girls-allowed treehouse with the secret handshake, and I can go back to ignoring these threads.

Do these pants make me look fat?
I can’t decide whether or not to wear these. You’re the only one I plan on having look at my ass. What do you think?

What’s wrong?
You look like you’re about to burst out into tears, but you won’t talk about it.

We never do anything anymore, can we go out?
I’m tired of sitting in while you play video games. I don’t care if I pay. Get me out of this building!

I’m tired pout
Snuggle me.

You’re so cute!
Snuggle me.

You’re so good to me!
Snuggle me, dammit.

Hey, msmith, I already know what you are. You don’t have to go out of your way to prove it.

I want you…sexually

Jebus Cripes, it’s a joke. Nobody but you and Elysian are taking this seriously.

…and me. Sure, this is probably approached in a spirit of harmless fun, but I really do think it’s symptomatic. There’s nothing to be gained by treating communication problems you may be having in a relationship as being attributable to some weird tendency universal to the other gender.

I was planning to just ignore both of these threads, but I didn’t want Elysian and ToC to feel they were without support.

Translation: I have PMS

Regards,
Shodan

:smiley:

You know, we would actually believe that if the whining were happening in both threads. But it’s not - it’s just happening in this one.

You can see when the toilet lid is up if the lights are on. I’ve had the unfortunate experience of going to the bathroom without turning the lights on and dipping my cheeks in the water. My father was very bad about leaving the seat up. I didn’t turn the lights on because it would have blinded me. Tell me that you haven’t gone to the bathroom with the lights out.

You all have to accommodate my comfort, because I couldn’t be arsed to let my eyes readjust.
Wow, this game is fun!

You know women with 4 eyebrows? I’ve only got 2. I think that’s standard issue.

Some of us only have 1. Ah, the deprivation some people must endure.

Translation: * I really have nothing witty to say, but I’m not going to let that stop me.*

Symptomatic of what? That women and men are socialized differently, so they tend to analyze situations differently and that results in communication problems? I like to think that we break new ground on the SDMB, but this isn’t exactly a shocking new discovery. It’s something that’s been covered by, oh, I don’t know, every man and woman on the planet, ever.

Is it worthwhile to point out (not just to matt_mcl, to everybody) that interpreting all this as “bitter and mean-spirited” does nothing more than reinforce the very same stereotype? There are three ways to react to a thread like this:

1. Ignore it, saying, “Yeah, that was all funnier when Sinbad used it in his stand-up routine 15 years ago.”

2. Get all offended and uptight, saying “Well I’m not like that at all, and I always say exactly what’s on my mind and know exactly what you’re thinking, so it’s you men who are all bitter and mean-spirited and misogynistic!!!”

3. Say, “Heh, I do react like sometimes! People are funny like that. Oh what a delightful, perplexing comedy is mankind.”

Hell, I can see stuff that I do in both threads – I can spend long stretches of time just sitting and staring, thinking of literally nothing at all, because I got man bits. And then there are still times when I see the boyfriend sitting and staring, saying nothing, and I think “What are you thinking? Is something wrong? What’s going on?” because apparently, I got woman bits in my brain, too.

So either: a) SolGrundy is a hermaphrodite (I’m not, not that there’s anything wrong with that), or 2) these are stereotypes and are nothing to get upset about. Unclench, people. You’re making diamonds.