Define "Politically Correct" + Give 2 examples in your life worth raging at

I hate to make your argument for you on this. But this is actually an illegal attempt to overturn the first amendment.

Suggesting that he was being PC is a bit of an understatement.

It’s filled me with a burning…

No.
I’ve seethed with…

No.

I’ve felt some occasional mild irritation.

Yup

Well, that’s a relief. From your dire forebodings on the previous page about political correctness allegedly making it “difficult and inadvisable for people to have frank and important conversations for fear of running afoul of whatever is currently the offends me flavor of the week, dampening actual communication, and increasing social rifts”, I didn’t realize that what you were talking about was merely occasional mild irritation.

I think they make a topical cream for that.

Egregious examples of PC behavior have actually left me miffed.

Ah, so though it’s every bit as bad, you simply define PC in a way that makes it a left-only thing. If you’re doing behavior X in support of lefty goals, it’s PC, but the same behavior in support of righty goals isn’t.

So you’re playing stupid, meaningless word games when you talk about PC. That’s fine. Have a good time.

Thanks to your PC bullshit, I can’t eat Mexican anymore.

Was the whole “Freedom Fries” thing political correctness, or political incorrectness?

Wait a second, the First Amendment guarantees my right to say anything I want on the job, without getting fired?

Seriously, if this was a First Amendment case, the ACLU would have been on it in a heartbeat. I think you misunderstand its reach. I think I got it right the first time.

Unless you mean to say you can’t eat Mexicans anymore, I am having a hard time fathoming how your ability to eat Mexican food might be impacted by people choosing to refer to things with polite terms. Does listening to polite terms give you a tummyache or something?

Yes, haha. I’m not the OP, but I don’t think he meant, “when did reading about PC annoy you?” Rather, have you been in a situation where having to be politically correct really affected you in a way worth raging at.

I gave some examples where I changed my behavior (Oriental->Asian, for example), but it didn’t really annoy me at all – I just substitute the new word for the old. Same thing with stewardess->flight attendant, and many other simple substitutions.

When I was a child, if there was a fight, we had this really racist chant that I’m sure my kids would never do; however, my kids not being able to chant this really racist thing is not filling me with rage at all.

I guess that one taco truck that shut down after their owners said something stupid was the only source of Mexican food for him. Maybe he could ask the owners to make him some tacos on the sly.

Political correctness is whatever lefties do, and political incorrectness is whatever righties do. :rolleyes:

So the latter.

ETA: not rolling my eyes at you, begbert, but rather at the people who clearly define it that way. Just wanted to prevent any misunderstanding.

Actually, I think you are just being touchy and we have a simple misunderstanding.

I think PC is a left thing because of that social justice justification that is usually absent from the right. It’s like fries with ketchup. When the right does it it’s mostly hold the ketchup. Both are still fries.

Well, putting aside the biased definitions, the term does seem to straddle the boundary. It was explicitly instantiated for political reasons, making the use of it “politically correct” (at least by the original, soviet russia (yep) definition), but it’s also quite explicitly racist (or whatever) against the French, which is pretty much the opposite of how modern political correctness works.

A mild irritation that can be helped with a topical cream?

Think man!

The right-wing version frequently has a patriotism justification. Like, you have to call french fries “freedom fries” if France isn’t on board with your Iraq invasion, or you have to get all horrified if (black) pro athletes protest police brutality by kneeling during the national anthem, or if the Dixie Chicks criticize the (Republican) President during a concert.

So maybe the right-wing kind should be called “Patriotic Correctness”. (Or “Pecuniary Correctness” in the case of things right-wingers get all bothered about because they’re afraid it might lose them money, such as alluding to sea-level rise due to climate change in coastal regions.)

Like when Hillary called Trump’s supporters deplorables? Or when the Obama administration released a report saying conservative white men were a major risk factor for domestic terrorism? Or when people call Trump treasonous and his supporters a cult?

I would have thought it would be a different issue in the public sector. Maybe not, who cares?

I consider PC mostly trivial. Your example rises beyond that.

Stop being so picky!

Yes!!!

Thank you. That is exactly it

Again thank you. This is exactly right.

Political correctness on the left, Patriot correctness on the right.

I was trying to get at something like this, but the idea was not completely baked.

Well done.