Definition of subscriber here

This might be a dumb question, but I have to ask it. Over on the Marketplace forum I read the rules and it says that only subscribers can start new threads. Am I a subscriber? Or is a subscriber only someone who donates money to support the SDMB? Some internet forums are like that but I don’t see any mention of donations here.

You have to buy a membership. User CP>Paid Subscriptions

See this thread:

The definition of subscribers is basically given in the Marketplace rules:

So a subscribers are Members, Charter Members, SDMB staff and members of the Straight Dope Science Advisory Board.

Guests are not subscribers.

As a guest, you can reply to a post (if you have a question or comment about something that is for sale, for example) but you may not create your own posts in the Marketplace.

If you wish to become a paying member, you may do so by clicking on your User Control Panel (User CP on the upper left), then scroll down to Paid Subscriptions on the lower left, and follow the on-screen prompts from there. You can choose a 1 or 2 year membership, and as a paying member, you can also purchase a custom title if you want (for an additional fee) which will appear under your name.

In addition to Marketplace privileges, and possibly a custom title (if you choose to pay the additional fee), paying members also are not served advertising on the message board.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Well, the definition didn’t resonate with me. Am I a Member? Or am I a Guest?

Xray Vision, thanks for the link. That helped!

It’s right beneath your user name in that post. You’re a guest.

Doh! I seemed to have stopped noticing those! :o Thanks.

If I had money, I’d buy you a membership and title as long as you agreed to make it blank. :smiley:

I read that in Gene Rayburn’s voice, “If I had money, I’d buy you a membership and title as long as you agreed to make it ___________.”

I said…“Charles Nelson Reilly”

Or Kitty Carlisle.

Now I have cheesy 70s game show music stuck in my head. Thanks guys.

:stuck_out_tongue: