Dell Financial suck my fucking nads.

I bought a Dell 4 years ago and opened a credit account to take advantage of some discount. I paid the computer off after the first bill and haven’t used it since. I get statements and just toss them out knowing I had paid the balance in full. About three weeks ago I start getting phone calls during dinner and have whoever answers tell them I’m not interested, take me off their list, etc. Figured it was some sort of promotion. After the 3rd call, I take it and am told I am 30 days overdue on my payment. After the typical “What payments?” I check out my account online and see I have a balance of 157 dollars. I look through the activity and see a 90 mother fucking dollar charge from a credit analysis company with associated interest charges and late fees. I freak. I call Dell and do everything I can not to go apeshit. They tell me I received something from Dell a few months back telling me that if I DIDN’t want this service I had to send a flyer back. The mother fucking onus was on me to open my fucking mail from Dell, read it, and be sure to send back their little fucking flyer? Can you imagine the balls? This is outright fraud. So the rep says she’ll take care of all the charges yet I still continue to get phone calls at night and at 8:30 in the morning on weekends. It turns out they got rid of the original charge but not the interest and late fees. I’ve heard of credit report charges before but there is always some implicit agreement from the cardholder. And this isn’t even a typical credit card like Visa. It’s been inactive for 4 years!. This is the cheesiest thing I’ve ever seen. I want blood.

Sounds like fraud to me. I suggest a quick lunge towards the gonads to fake them out, and then clamp quickly and forcefully onto the front of the neck, using the trachea as a lever for your bottom jaw. Bite down HARD, and shake forcefully. Don’t let go until they stop moving. Dine at leisure.

Also, check your credit report, which may now be fucked up.

I think the practice of sending you something that you have to physically refuse or pay for is illegal in many states now.

I have no idea how to look up laws like that - you might want to ask in GQ if it’s illegal in your state and what kind of recourse you have.

It’s basic contract law: there has to be an offer by one party and an acceptance by the other for there to be a contract. You can’t send out an offer, and say that silence on the part of the offeree implies acceptance.

I’m a member of the BMG music club. They send me “Featured Selections” and I either return them or I get billed for the price of the selection. It was part of the contract when I signed up. I don’t know the details of the agreement the OP signed with Dell several years ago, but a similar agreement may be in that contract.

Enjoy,
Steven

:eek: My Dell account recently got paid off, and I’d been idly thinking I should close it, but there was no hurry. Guess I will get that taken care of pronto.

Yes, you can make a contract like that, so that in the future you will receive offers every month, which you have to decline. Similarly, you can just have an open-ended contract, where you buy a given number of items from a supplier until further notice. It is possible that there was an earlier agreement like that, but it does seem highly unlikely to me.

I handle Accounts Payable as part of my job, and I can say with sincere confidence that Dell is the worst company I have ever had to deal with. They started calling me about 4 months ago about a ‘past due balance’ on one of our lease accounts. The representative on the phone with me was clearly Indian, and when I asked for the specifics, account number, how much past due we were, which month’s payment was missing, they put me on hold to ‘get the details from the system’. Wait, you’re calling me to tell me that I’m missing a payment, and you don’t have the specifics right there in front of you? :dubious:

So, we iron out which account they say is past due and by how much and I say I’ll research the issue and get back with them. I look at our past year of payment, and we’ve not missed anything. I call Dell back, get a different representative (because all they’ll give you is a 1-800 number to call their phone bank) and let them know that there must be an issue on Dell’s end because we’re paid up. He says he’ll make a note on the account and look into it further.

Start the 2-3 times weekly calls from Dell, each morning, insisting that I’m missing a payment on my lease account. Each call, they proceeds as such:
‘M’am, we are calling about a past due balance on your account’
‘Which account, and for how much?’
‘Just a moment m’am while I look up that information’
[hold for 3-4 minutes]
‘It’s account # xxx and for $xxx’
‘No, we’re not missing a payment, I’ve faxed documentation of this to you about this.’
‘Well ma’am, would you be able to give us checking account information so that we can process it over the phone and clear up this past due balance?’
‘No, there is no past due balance, and I’m not going to give you a checking account number!’
‘Well ma’am, if you would just give us a checking account number, we could take care of this right now, and your account won’t suffer further late fees while we wait for a check to arrive in the mail’
head explodes

I continue to tell them that I’m NOT missing a payment, and can they please give me a manager/second-tier customer rep to talk to and get the whole thing straight. No luck. The best I can get is a fax number to send ‘documentation’ to. I send the chart of payments I’ve drawn up, including account number, copies of check stubs and date the freakin checks cleared. I fax this again when it’s clear that the calls aren’t going to stop. Then, I quit answering the phone when I know it’s Dell calling.

A week later, I get a call from a COLLECTION AGENCY!! The motherfuckers sent our account to a collection agency when THEY are in the wrong, and the amount in dispute is less than $300.00 - our lease paymentstotals are over $2k monthly to these people! I explain the situation to the collection representative (at least he speaks understandable english and seems to have all my account information in line when he called me). I fax him this same documentation, he agrees there appears to be an error in Dell’s accounting, and says he’ll clear it up with Dell.

I get a break of about 2 weeks. Just long enough to think that the issue has finally been resolved. I stop ranting about this everytime I hear the word Dell. My heartrate doesn’t go through the roof everytime I see ‘unidentified caller’ on my phone ID.

Then it starts up again. ‘Past due balance’ ‘hold’ ‘checking account number please’. But now the amount they say is past due has magically transferred to one of our other lease accounts, and an unidentified credit of a different amount is showing up on another account I finally do what I should have done to begin with – created a 3 year account history of each of our **5[/5] lease accounts with Dell, gather all the fax numbers I can find for them, and fax a copy to each of those numbers along with a blistering letter. Ha, like that will do anything. I submit as much documentation as their stupid ‘customer questions’ online form will let me do. In response to my online submission, I get an email asking me to participate in a ‘customer satisfaction’ survey. I cackle like a goddamn maniac, and rate them zero on every category, and paste my blistering letter into their place for comments. I hit ‘submit’, and get –

A database error.

Our IT guy now knows that he suffers my wrath if he EVER contracts with Dell again – even for so much as a bottle of canned air. Nobody in my department dares say the word ‘Dell’ in my hearing.

If you have the time, you should consider writing the above up in a polite, polished business letter. Then, snail-mail it Dell’s CEO.

I work for a “Fortune 10” company with hundreds of thousands of employees–and believe it or not, well-written letters to executives from customers actually do get the attention of the higher-ups.

You have my sincere sympathies, Maendosa (and you too, KidCharlemagne). I’ve worked in Accounting enough to know that there are charges like that on accounts that can literally take years to clear up. Send your account to collections for $200, though? Most companies I’ve worked for would just eat that after a few years (heck, a few months) of wrassling with it. There comes a point where trying to collect the money is actually costing the company money.

So, Kid, are they going to dump the interest and late fees, too? They kind of have to, after getting rid of the original charge. How do they think interest and late fees on a balance they have admitted was bogus will stand up in court?

I’m sure they will…eventually.

Maendosa my phone experiences were exactly the same. After I ranted about the unethical practice of issuing default acceptance charges, the rep said, “So you don’t want third party marketing offers?”

In my small business I had a client write a check for medication that cost $5.00. The check bounced, and they never made good on the debt (now $30.00 with the bad check fee). I sent them to collection. When they were trying to get a mortgage they eventually had to make the debt good.

$5.00 or $30.00 to a small business is a different scope than $200 vs. three years of routinely paying over $2k a month on leases. In many places I’ve worked, writing off a disputed amount is seen as an effective way of building and keeping a good client relationship. I can say that if this charge had been legitimate, if I had actually missed a payment to Dell, I would have had a check cut to them that same day. However, I would have been even more likely to continue to bring further business to Dell had they waived any late fees or interest associated with the past due balance. As it stands, they’re losing any further revenue from us (beyond the scope of our current leases), I personally will never give Dell any money, and I’ll be sure to pass the word along to anyone when the situation warrents.

Metacom, I did type up a professional letter outlining my complaints, attached the documentation, had my Controller sign it and sent it to about 5 different people at Dell. I’ve yet to hear from anyone about it, though that doesn’t surprise me. Perhaps they’re sending their replies to our two year old address - the same place they were sending part of our new lease documentation, despite having our correct address on our older leases.

Color me pleasantly surprised. I went into the website yesterday, and there was an online thing to cancel, so I figured I’d give that a try. I thought for sure they’d say I had to call them to cancel or something, since that’s what so many companies pull, but I just got an email saying they’ve closed my account per my request. I should be getting a letter to confirm that. :cool:

Sounds like I need to close my account, too. I opened one just to build up a little credit for my small business, but as one would expect everything went to hell rapidly. I set up a direct debit for the monthly payments, but some asshole at Dell managed to set it up in their system as a ONE-TIME payment.

So every other month I’d get calls, and would mail them a damn check, and they’d assure me the direct debit was up and working again. The following month there would be a direct debit – and then the following month, again, no payment! All calls go to India, of course, where there’s nobody who can actually HELP you. I tried calling numerous other numbers, and actually found one guy in the US who was willing to help me, but unable to because for some technicality he didn’t have access to my account.

So I finally paid off the damn thing. Gee, thanks, Dell, now the good credit I wanted for my small business is for total shit.

After reviewing the terms for the Dell financing for our new machine, I am really not surprised at the horror stories. They charge something like 30% APR. I know legbreakers who don’t charge that much. My experience is that crappy rates and shady contracts usually go hand in hand.

Sigh. I just took advantage of the Dell offer to sign up for financing in exchange for an extra 10% off a camera purchase. Paid it off immediately. Now I guess I’m going to have to cancel the account and scrutinize every letter that appears from Dell for shenanigans.

So that’s where all my business has been going. I don’t suppose you could give me the names of these legbreakers. Whodathunk loan sharking was such a cutthroat business.