Democratic World Cup, Semi Finals

This is why I’m leaning toward rooting for a Biden-Warren ticket. Biden clicks all the emotional buttons and blue collar cred, Warren clicks the wonkishness and progressive cred. He doesn’t need an African-American candidate, as he’s strong with that population already. He need a woman and a progressive and someone who can excite the far left. To me, that’s Warren. I also like the fact that they’ve publicly clashed on policy in the past. That shows he’s not scared to be challenged and pushed by the people he puts around him.

I’m afraid I have to call bullshit on this. I personally despise ‘screamer bosses’ of any gender( and every one I’ve ever run into has been male )and I rather suspect I’m not unique in that. Hell, I can’t stand absurdly perfectionist, micromanaging bosses in general even if they aren’t screamers.

Now I absolutely believe that some folks are being sexist in their opinions. Because there are absolutely people who respect and admire so-called “tough, strong” bosses if they’re male, but consider them harpies if they are female. But I’m not one of those. I’m an equal opportunity loather of ALL “tough, strong” bosses - it’s a shit way to manage people. I have no problem calling brilliant, but difficult boss Steve Jobs a shitty human being for being a difficult boss( over and beyond his other personal shortcomings ).

ETA: This isn’t a disqualifying issue for me. Steve Jobs was brilliant. Maybe Klobuchar would be as well. But it sure doesn’t incline me strongly towards her.

“As can be seen, there are far, far more immigrants into the US than emigrants from the US.”

Yeah pretty much enough said.

I like this; I think I’ve endorsed Biden-Warren before.

Can’t wait to see the Pence-Warren debates.

Is it?

There is no question that America is still an economic powerhouse of the world and that net migration remains into the U.S. more than out. Still immigration has stayed pretty flat while emigration has increased significantly. Why? These are not, to borrow from Trump and with the Polanskis excepted, our rapists and murderers with just a few good people too. Expats tend to be a fairly more successful bunch. Why are there more of them in recent years? I don’t know.

In any case I am not so sure that net migration and changes in it are really an ideal metric to judge RTFirefly’s claim about many countries doing “better than us.”

I’d personally judge by metrics like how severe wealth inequality is (we’re up there), and by measures like the happiness index (despite being so relatively wealthy we are below countries like Germany, France, Italy, Israel, Austria, Australia, Sweden, Switzerland, Canada, let alone those Nordic ones). Maybe health measures too? For all we spend and our relative wealth, we are not tops of the list there either.

I do not support Warren, at least at this point (it could change), and do not consider myself expert on all of her ideas, but I am indeed understanding that many of the measures you are bemoaning are more common in countries that do better on those real and more direct quality measures than those that let various institutions do whatever they want as much as we do.

I do not feel that demonizing the wealthy or Wall Street is a responsible position, but I do feel that Warren’s sense of appropriate oversight of the institutions would be more associated with improvement in those metrics than Biden’s apparent sense is. Hers is the superior intellect and she understands the seriousness of the increasingly extreme wealth inequality within our nation while he gives no sense of doing so.

I just think she would be far far less assured of winning, let alone of helping with the heavy lift of flipping the Senate. And the best mind that loses both is like seatbelts that stayed under someone’s tush: not of much value.

Anecdatum: we left because of gay rights (could not sponsor my partner to immigrate). That situation was rectified just a few years later, and we could have returned to the US at any time. We’ve STAYED away because of healthcare. We can afford to grow old in Canada, but whether we could do so in the US is a crapshoot. This country is very similar to the US, both pluses and minuses (though both tend to be much less extreme), but at the end of the day being able to see a doctor without a co-pay is the dealbreaker.

Most of the Americans I know abroad left for a job / partner’s job, and stayed because once you have kids someplace, it’s easier not to relocate internationally.

I took a long time to vote in this one.

Warren over Biden, that’s easy. She’s the probable party unifier, she’s younger, she’s even a woman.

But Kamala Harris vs. Amy Klobuchar? That one was hard for me. I think I’ve avoided actually thinking about putting those two head to head. Personally, I find Amy more appealing than I find Kamala, and I imagine a lot of white voters from interior states would agree. But I think Harris has made more of a conscious effort to swing left, and I appreciate that. I went with Harris.