Dems - Defend your Senators holding the budget bill hostage

The majority leader often votes no in these circumstances, as only a senator who was on the prevailing side of a vote can ask for a re-vote.

Yup, back in the day Harry Reid cast some interesting “no” votes for this very reason.

Mitch the Turtle is conducting dangerous experiments in neutron density bullshit and galactic hypocrisy. The very macramé of space-time is threatened…

CHIP needs to be funded, and Trump would eat his own left nut before he reversed anything, let alone (perish the thought!) DACA.

Because they’re either habitually uninformed or Republicans.

How naive? They’ve voted for punts twice now in good faith and, like Lucy, the Republicans have removed the DACA ball. You know the old saying about the definition of insanity.

But I’ll agree with you about Republicans.

Top trending on Twitter? #TrumpShutdown

Number three? #GOPShutdown

NOT trending? #DemShutdown, #DemocratShutdown, or any other form that implies Democrats are at fault. Guess we know who the public blames.

I considered issuing a warning for this given my previous note in post #166, but I am open to the possibility it wasn’t crystal clear. McVeigh isn’t germane to this thread. Introducing it in this fashion is akin to harassment. Don’t do this any further.

[/moderating]

Blessed be our New Founding Fathers and America, a nation reborn. May God be with you all.

Twitter != “the public”, or at least not all of the public.

I guess the Russian bots haven’t kicked in yet. Or maybe Twitter is finally blocking them.

It’s generally a pretty solid indicator of public opinion.

How far ahead of the US is 8 AM in Moscow?

Does anyone know the breakdown of the vote? How many Dems and how many Pubs voted against cloture?

Back to the subject of the OP. Can you defend these Senators effectively causing a shutdown? Remember how horrible previous shutdowns were when a minority of Pubs were “obstructionists” to passing a bill to prevent shutdowns. Does anyone want to take (and explain) the position where this shutdown is OK but the shutdowns over the deficit cap were not?

44 Dems and 5 Reps voted against cloture.

Democrats who voted yes; Jones, Donnelly, Heitkamp, Manchin
Republicans who voted no; Flake, McConnell (!), Paul, Graham, Lee

King and Sanders voted no and McCain did not vote.

The 2013 shutdown was led by the Republicans in the House. Both 2013 and 2018 are led by Congressional Republicans attempting to deny healthcare to poor people.

The two sides of that slash aren’t at all equivalent in my mind. The consequences of a (probably short-term) government shutdown aren’t likely to be as severe as if the U.S. were to default on its debts.

Probably Kiev; plausible deniability and all that.

See #176; it wasn’t a real No by McConnell.

And yet, it says something that the same senator who literally tweeted a ransom note to the Democrats earlier today voted with them.

Sad!

All that vote says is that McConnell is a politician. A ‘no’ vote from a Republican in leadership would be expected under the circumstances. Trying to make anything more of it than his vote being a calculated political move is mis-reading the situation.

It’s not the incongruity between a shutdown and MAGA that befuddles me, it’s the substantial quorum of US voters who’d consider that a shutdown represents an improvement in governance. [shrug]
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly. Party over country.