Dems - Defend your Senators holding the budget bill hostage

I once had a dispute with my wife over whether “a couple” can be used for more than two things. I later mentioned this to a client, and he said “it’s like when you say you’re going to have a couple of beers …”

Methinks the lad doth protest too much. For nearly two years I’ve read your posts (well, with 5 or 6 months off in between). I’ve seen you stir the pot while saying you weren’t posting to stir the pot, and I’ve seen you parrot just about every conservative meme. I think Elvis is dead-on balls-accurate in analyzing your posts.

So did you open your marriage or not?

In this case, the leader of the party in power has endorsed the shutdown of the government. One side is 100% to blame when the blame refers to the thing they actually want to happen happening.

shrug you and he are both entitled to your own opinions. I’m confident that most Dopers can read up through this page and reach their own conclusions on the matter.

Took me a bit to get that. Not bad. :slight_smile:

Ha!

Oh dear. Maybe this is why my husband gets so irritated when I say “couple” and mean 2-5.

And for my comments that were directed your way, I retract them.

This is turning into a real love-fest.

I don’t like it.

No worries, I’ll take care of that. :smiley:

So am I. And I think you’ll be disappointed by their conclusions overall.

To back away from the kumbaya vibe that makes conservatives’ like me skin crawl, here is a short (<2 minutes) video of Mulvaney blaming Schumer and taking shots at Obama for “weaponizing” the shutdown in 2013.

I’m on my phone so I will return to this thread later to address some posts above, but I’m going to ask folks to dial back their rhetoric. I’m reserving the ability to respond to specific items later today.

[/moderating]

This is the Mick Mulvaney that asked for a budget of $0 (that’s right, no funding) for the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, right? The one that Karl Frisch, executive director of Allied Progress, a consumer group backed in part by the New Venture Fund, a public charity focused on conservation, education and other issues, said:

THAT Mick Mulvaney? Of course, I can see no reason that I’d distrust anything he might say. :rolleyes:

It sounds like the talks between Trump and Schumer didn’t come up with anything earth-shattering. I would guess (and this is just a guess) that lots of people in the GOP caucus were holding their breaths at the thought of those two meeting without any Republican Congressional leadership present.

I don’t have a crystal ball at all. No predictions from me on this mess. I know that we have a hill briefing to prepare for on Tuesday that will be delayed in case of a shutdown and we’re not at all ready, so that makes a shutdown less likely. :smiley:

Yeah, I think I made it pretty clear in my original post that he obviously has some partisan leanings that factor into his statement.

And yes, I’m pretty clear on the fact that the GOP doesn’t think much of the CFPB.

Yeah, that’s a scary thought for me.

What do you do / for whom do you do it? (If you don’t feel like sharing, I understand)

I wish we could have had a video of their reaction when Schumer said “We made progress but there is no deal.” Of course, Democrats would have been doing movie “NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!”

Good times.

I work in health policy for a nonprofit. My focus is Medicare policy.

Actually, you didn’t. Let me requote you to make sure it’s clear to everyone exactly what you said:

Here is Schumer speaking to Stephen Colbert on how Trump negotiates:

Earlier in the video Schumer notes that a bi-partisan group (3 dems, 3 reps) came up with a DACA bill to give to the president. Both sides compromised and gave a bit. Schumer claims it would pass both chambers if allowed to come to a vote and it is Trump standing in its way.

I may be wrong, but I don’t see how Democrats really have the leverage here. For one thing, I think they’re using the wrong wedge issue. I support the Dreamers but by itself, it’s not a winner for Democrats. They really should have made this more about CHIP and healthcare more broadly with DACA as a related issue - maybe they tried and I’m not aware of it, but that’s not how it seems to be reading in the press.