Design a test for me to find my peak thinking hours

I am interested in finding what hours of the day I function best in. No, it’s not as easy as just feeling when I do. I want to know when I am totally in “the zone” with my mental capacity. So here’s my question.

How would I conduct this experiment? I have lots of time on my hands during summer break. Should I take tests every hour? What should I eat? Should I eat? Should I make the test day(s) as much like a normal day as I can, i.e. wake, eat, work at the same time? I have next to no idea how to find this out.

The goal would be to find what times I think best at. Maybe a parallel test in manual dexterity would also work. Puzzle-solving and quick thinking would be foci of the test.

Anyone know how to approach this? Are there any published tests on these things? Thanks a billion!

That’s easy. Go to Great Debates and open a half-dozen threads.

Grade:

<35% Neurons Firing: Can’t follow any of the OPs, let alone the args in the following posts;

35-55%: Able to read along for several posts before getting lost in the counterarguments;

56-75%: Posts supporting args and counterargs, managing to place Reply to Thread A in Thread B no more than one time in six; args are shot down in short order or generate rolleyes and sarcastic remarks only;

76-88%: Posted remarks generate discussion and a handful of me-too’s in at least one thread, and rolleyes and/or sarcastic dismissals in no more than one thread;

>88%: At least one thread participant acknowledges error of his/her ways in response to your posts, and your posts are cited in future threads as excellent expositions on the subject matter

Various thoughts…

If you play a musical instrument, learn part of a new, difficult piece. Try this all hours. See how long it takes, and how difficult it seems. I’ve heard that most people find the early morning easiest.

Read something that’s very advanced for you. Or something in a foreign language you don’t have complete command of. (I know a couple people who do this to figure out whether they’re “on the ball” on a particular day, or not.)

Don’t stuff yourself before the tests, since that will tend to make you sleepy. Recent exercise tends to wear you out. Stay off stimulant and depressant drugs, for example caffeine and alcohol. The caffeine makes you smarter (so it’s claimed), but also can make it harder to concentrate. Alcohol has several effects, one of which is to lower your stress, so you’d end up doing better in that respect on stressful tests. Another effect of alcohol is to interfere with judgement.

Follow the learning tests by demonstrating what you just learned to someone else. They’d have detached judgement about things you could not assess well yourself. Of course, you wouldn’t want them to say anything about what they observed until you’d finished the whole series of tests.

What sort of thinking are you trying to optimize? Whatever it is, do that for your test. If you want the optimum time for doing math problems, test yourself using math problems. If you want the optimum time for creative writing, write pieces at various times of day, and have them evaluated by an impartial judge. You get the idea.