Measuring concentration & other mental attributes

I’m trying to optimize my usage of a day with respect to reading/studying (mostly mathematics). So I’m hoping to map my concentration/attention/alertness/working memory levels throughout the waking period, over the next few days, and then accordingly schedule activities. I need some good metrics that can roughly measure & quantify these attributes.

If someone has done this, I would love to hear about it. Currently, I’ve plans to mentally solve cryptoquips, play some reaction-sensitive short games & some time-limited ‘spot the discrepancies…etc’ games. But those would measure multiple intertwined variables. I’m hoping for cleaner componentized metrics. Hopefully.

I hope to note these results not just with respect to time, but also relative to other activities (meals, sports, naps).

If the overall approach is wrong, don’t hesitate to correct.

Anyone?

bump

After I had a skull fracture, a psychologist ran me through a bunch of tests for problems with “direction of attention”. You might try putting that phrase into a search engine.

I am not a shrink, so I don’t know what to tell you.

I don’t have any specific recommendations, but you might try doing some research or talking to psychology faculty (you are at university, I’m assuming) about neuropsychological testing, specifically in regard to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. The testing involves a number of different metrics that measure different types of attention, e.g. long- and short-term memory, impulse-response attention, ability to catagorize and reiterate collections of related and non-related items, and so forth. I’m not suggesting you actually undergo the testing regime, but you might look through the materials and references to see if there isn’t something that would apply to your query.

I’m not an expert in this, but I went through some neuropsyche testing a few months ago, looking for signs of Asperger’s or ASD (which was otherwise indicated), but instead came away with strong indications of ADHD. The testing was interesting and not just a little fun, actually.

Anyway, I hope that gives you something to work with.

Stranger

Stranger On A Train, Thanks. That sounds like an interesting avenue of inquiry. I should have thought of that. :smack: :smack: What better resource for attention metrics than people studying attention-deficit disorders :smack: :smack:

Still open to suggestions.