Design your own ice cream

There’s a small ice cream shop in Takoma Park, MD that makes it’s own ice cream (the flavors change on a daily basis, unfortunately!), and they have a mango-coconut ice cream that is THE BOMB!!!. Last time I visited, they did not have it available for scooping into a cone or cup, but they did have a quart container already packed, plus it was marked down by $2 (I couldn’t believe my luck!!!), so I got that.

The mango balances out the sweetness of the coconut just perfectly…IMHO, that is. A favorite flavor combination from childhood that I have (as yet) been unable to find is lemon and mint.

In Pennsylvania, pumpkin pie ice cream is not unheard of.

What kind of mint? I have a recipe for a lemon ice cream, perhaps mint could be added, either in a flavor extract, or in crushed candy form.

Peppermint, I think, but it would have to be a light touch. I’ve tried to create it at Baskins & Robbins (when they happen to have lemon flavored ice cream, that is!), using the ice cream with the peppermint candy crushed up, but the mint flavor was overwhelming. Like the mango-coconut ice cream, it’s probably a delicate balance. It’s not easy to find lemon & mint ice creams together, unfortunately. Maybe spearmint would work but I’m thinking it was more of a pepperminty mint that I used to like. laughs I’m remembering these flavors from an ice cream shop that went out of existance over 40 years ago, unfortunately! It was one of those old-style that was at a farm; we’d go out there in the evening during summers, and I’d get a double dip of lemon and mint, when they had them, that is. For anyone from the Wilmington Delaware area, I’m talking about Lynthwaite’s, btw. :slight_smile:

Well, I’d try a peppermint extract then, in place of crushed candy. That way you can put in just a drop, or more. Try a given amount, then lessen or increase the amount, if the mint was too strong or weak. You can get extracts in the grocery store. But when I make candy I’ve used these teensy, super strong bottles of flavor I get at a local shop that caters to cake and candy makers.

How was the lemon flavor? Strong? Sweeter like lemonade? If yaou made the lemon ice cream on your own try adding a little lemon zest for an extra fresh taste.

I’m betting it was like lemonade with a sprig of fresh mint, wasn’t it? I believe I’ve had that flavor too. It was quite good.

Speaking of tarragon918, tarragon itself would make for an intriguing flavor. Perhaps macerating a few sprigs in fresh peaches for a few days, then using that in your ice cream.

Woo hoo, Tarragon ice cream!! :slight_smile: Thanks, Kaylasdad99; tarragon does have a very distinctive flavor so that’s a good idea to add it in with peaches. And yes, Zabali_Clawbone, the lemon ice cream did taste like a sweet but creamy lemonade. .

I picked the 14% base in cinnamon with a chocolate fudge swirl and coffee-soaked ladyfingers. Now I just need a disposable income.

Whoa, I got all excited when I saw I could get my old favorite, Blue Moon. But $84.95? That’s pricey. Unless I get a lifetime supply for that, I’ll pass.

The one I remember getting (and it was only a couple of years back) was honey and fig flavoured. Mmmm. A lovely rich flavour.