Diana Rigg dies at 82

As far as Bond movies go, she deserved better than George Lazenby.

She is also excellent in The Hospital (1971) as a free spirit who restores George C. Scott’s will to live and love.

“Well, at least the champagne is cold.
<Pop!>
…but it’s warming quickly. Glass…?”

She was a woman who made all media her own. She had true “Broadcast Power”.

(There used to still be one network that broadcast all of the episodes… but in a shake up, that channel was sold to “Court TV” which no one ever watches. Pity.)

Pussy Galore is head of a lesbian gang who James Bond converts with his cock. I don’t think the two characters are comparable.

I wasn’t suggesting a comparison between the characters, just the crudeness of the names, Pussy Galore v.

Emma Peel

THAT was beautiful!!

(P.S. In college – 1966-1970 – I wore a short skirt and long jacket.)

I forgot to mention – we have a complete set of her 1998-2000 series The Mrs. Bradley Mysteries, which is worth a watch. My wife is right now watching Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries, which reminds me of it, largely because Essie Davis reminds me of the young Ms. Rigg.

I saw her in Lear and she was excellent! Cool, clever and deadly.

I watched the show regularly as a youngster, but only remember the episode with the killer clowns.

Well, damn. I saw her on stage just a couple of years ago, in My Fair Lady.

You’re right, but I was never a fan of Ms. Newmar for some reason.

That’s a Tara King episode, notable for guest appearances by John “Basil Fawlty” Cleese and Bernard “Mr Hutchinson” Cribbons.from the Fawlty Towers episode “The Hotel Inspectors.”

Catwoman: Holy dominatrix! :open_mouth:

From the episode “The Purr-fect Crime.”

Emma Peel: Queen of Sin! :wink:

From the episode “A Touch of Brimstone.”

Are you claiming that Brits would naturally think “M Appeal = Man Appeal”? That seems unlikely. If her name had been Wilhemina Peel or something maybe, but I think shortening “Man” to “M” meant it was an inside joke to the producers, not a pun that regular viewers were supposed to get.

Diana was a heavy pack a day smoker. She was diagnosed with Cancer 6 months ago. Thankfully she didn’t have a prolonged & painful death. Diana Rigg, star of "The Avengers" and "Game of Thrones," dies at 82 - CBS News

I loved the Avengers when I was a kid and to this day, when I hear the term I think of that show, not the comic book characters. Rigg had such a cool presence on the Avengers funny, smart and bad ass.

The British press dredged up perhaps my favorite Avengers picture. Here’s an older article with it on top.

It’s a trick of perspective that makes it appear that Steed is using his umbrella handle to, um, peel off Rigg’s top. The expression on her face is priceless.

As for “M appeal,” I can only say that many others are saying it.

I don’t think it’s a trick of perspective. Looks to me like the handle of his umbrella was actually hooked in her bikini top.

Yeah, the bulge on her top does seem to be from the umbrella and the handle should extend farther than it does.

But I’ve never seen another picture from the series with innuendo that blatant. It was 1965 after all. And Steed’s look and posture are all wrong if that’s meant to be deliberate.

This page has the full picture and another one with Rigg in the same outfit above it. (Scroll down to pictures 36 and 37, a bit over halfway down.) The discoloration that causes the apparent bulge can be seen even when she’s alone.

They’re publicity shots for the episode “Castle De’Ath” if anybody wants to take time and rewatch it to see if something similar occurs on screen. A photographer could have just been having fun that day, but I still think it would have been surprising for it to have been released then.

I’m responding to this to whitelist the address so my email doesn’t send it directly to spam. Please ignore otherwise.