Did anyone else idolize Shannon Miller?

12 years ago I had a crush on the American Olympic Gymnast Shannon Miller.

I probably collected quite a few pictures on the internet of her. But these days there aren’t many.

Obviously she’s not your typical celebrity crush. She’s an elite athlete, to my mind elite as you can possibly get. I loved the grace, the body, the ponytail, the white and blue leotard.

Anyone else?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ6heMQStT8

My crush was on Dominique Moceanu. (FF to 0:23 :eek: )

0:23 is just the start of the routine right? I was expecting something…well, unexpected (like the time she fell onto her head on the beam)

How old are these girls? It seem a little unseemly to me to talk about crushes, as they look almost pre-pubescent.

For a crush-worthy woman athlete, I give you Katerina Witt.

Well, I had the crush twelve years ago, when Shannon was older than me. She was 18 and I was 16 or 17.

Exactly, I had a little crush on Dominique Moceanu too. She was only 15, but then again, so was I.

You might want to stay out of the Fountain of Aging.

I had a big crush on Nadia back in 1976 (same age I’ll note as I), well at least I did until I found out that, at age 14, she still carried around a doll.

Okay, I gotta say it. I’ve got a female crush on Gabrielle Reece. She’s hot, tall, athletic and very healthy looking. And she’s got really nice kitchen.

I thought that was a euphemism, but damn, she truly does have a big beautiful kitchen.

The rest of her’s pretty big and beautiful too.

Shannon Miller seems to have steady work.

Love Shannon Miller. Kerri Strug got all the press from the '96 Olympics, but it was Shannon who really led that team to victory. She was tall for a gymnast but she exuded such grace and quiet confidence, especially on beam. She’s still the most decorated American gymnast of all time.

If you’re looking for Elite Level Athletes to have a crush on, I submit http://images.hotolympians.com/traa/traa-01.jpg Freestyle Skier Kari Traa - Not safe for work.

She won a gold in 2002, a silver in 2006, and a bronze in 1998.

Mine was Svetlana Boginskaya. I’d stopped doing gymnastics a few years before she was hugely famous, but I was still very interested in watching competitions. She was incredible. Could not get enough of watching her.

She’s about a year older than me, if anyone’s going to complain about perving on her. She was still doing exhibition competitions when she was in her 20s. She was about 23 when I last saw her compete in the 1996 Olympics. Smoking hot, did odd and interesting floor routines, is a redhead. What’s not to like? :smiley:

drm and anyone else who may be confused: Please read Rules for Posting on the SDMB: What links are permitted?

Merely labeling a link as “Not Workplace Safe” is not sufficient protection against an accidental click. Note that we’re not trying to impose censorship – this site is far from G-rated – but we don’t want people inadvertently clicking on a link that could prove embarrassing if a boss wandered by at the time. If you want to go there deliberately, that’s fine with us, we just want to prevent awkward accidents.

Best approach is to use a ‘two click rule’ where the first click takes you to some entry page that IS workplace safe, and give directions on how to get to the second page. That way, if anyone clicks by accident, they don’t get in troub. (The assumption is that one accidental click is possible, two are probably not.) The other approach is to de-parse the link, so that someone has to cut-and-paste to click on it; again, presumably, that wouldn’t happen except deliberately.