Did Obama fullfull his promises?

What did Obama promise in his 2008 campaign? How many of those promises were fullfilled?

1. Get out of Iraq - check
  2. Health care bill - check
  3. Get out of Afghanistan - working on it
  4. Close Guantanamo - no
  5. Reverse economic downtrend - no
  6. Repeal don’t ask, don’t tell - check

Those are probably the most prominent issues. What else did he promise and were those promises fullfilled?

He promised CHANGE CHANGE CHANGE CHANGE CHANGE. We only got (change).

Of course, those were campaign promises. No one expects campaign promises to be fulfilled, or even to have been sincere in the first place. What distinguishes Obama, though, is he seems to genuinely believe in his vision to remake America. To that end, he burned through virtually all of his political capital to get the bastardized, truncated current version of the health care bill passed. He has actually tried to accomplish his specific stated goals.

I have been critical of the man in the past, but I have to give him sincerity points at the very least. I do think that most of the nonsense he does spout (like **celebrating **the latest awful job creation report) is at the behest of his handlers. I think he does have a real affection for the truth. I think we should give him a nationwide “E” for effort, even if he gets a “B-minus” for performance.

I also think that part of his failure to get as far as he wanted to was due to an underestimation of the obstructive power of the minority opposition, and of just how slowly the gears grind in Washington. In this respect, his naivete and inexperience handicapped him, just as they did Carter decades earlier. In contrast, Lyndon Johnson got the Great Society enacted because he knew precisely whom to kiss and where, and whose arms/testicles to twist.

I think we should give the Obaminator another shot, especially since Robotic Rich Guy seems like such a dreadful alternative. It’ll be harder for him to win this time, though; last time, all voters had to do was consider the awful scenario of Moose Shooter Lady possibly running the country. Aieeeeee!!:eek:

“On January 22, 2009, President Obama stated that he ordered the government to suspend prosecutions of Guantánamo Bay detainees for 120 days to review all the detainees’ cases to determine whether and how each detainee should be prosecuted. A day later, Obama signed an executive order stating that Guantánamo Detention Camp would be closed within the year. (Text of Executive order here.)”

Obama’s promise was fulfilled. Congress blocked its fulfillment. In any event, no new persons have been sent to Camp X-Ray since he began his term and the ones left are gradually being released or processed into other facilities.

In January 2009, 700,000 jobs were lost. In June 2012, 82,000 jobs were gained. The DJIA is up over 50% since the beginning of Obama’s term, American corporations are bringing in record profits, and the unemployment rate is currently at 8.2%, down from its high of 10.1%. I’d call that a reversal, wouldn’t you?

He didn’t promise this. He promised to increase troops and focus on Afghanistan - check

Smapti, don’t give him too much credit for Guantanamo. He promised to close it, not to make an empty gesture towards closing it that would be trivially blocked by Congress. You promise to close it, that means working with Congress to get their buy in, and making it happen.

The president can promise to ask Congress to sign off on a particular agenda. He can’t promise that they’ll agree, especially not these days.

I don’t expect any president to fulfill EVERYTHING they promise. Still, these days, it’s party, then contributors, then money, then favors, then disagreeing with no alternative to any issue, it seems. Oh, and free lunch and dinner in between.

Whether Romney or Obama wins this time, I expect news only about blocking the rival party’s bill/proposal/legislation. Let’s get more political parties here! It’d be fun to have the Whigs and the Labour party in on all this. :smiley:

Don’t forget his promise about the economy and especially unemployment. I believe he promised an unemployment rate of less than 8% in less than a year and a ton of new jobs. Unemployment is still above 8% and that doesn’t count the underemployed.

Nope.

He didn’t promise to request Guantanamo’s closure. He promised to close it. He promised something and didn’t deliver it.

I’m not going to say he made a bad decision to not spend his political capital on trying to get agreement on Guantanamo. Given the political landscape, he felt he had more important tasks to overcome than getting Congress to agree on this issue. I chalk it up to “you win some, you lose some” and don’t expect 100% of his campaign promises to be fulfilled. This isn’t eBay feedback where scoring below 95% makes you a terrible person.

How about this promise from February 23, 2009

For Smapti, I know that he specifically promised 8% because I have a link to a cite in a post I did a while back. I’ll hunt for it.

I don’t think it was really a campaign promise, but when asked if he would take out the US’s most wanted man, he said he would not hesitate, so maybe:

1. Taking down Osama bin Laden if presented with the opportunity - check

One promise he has yet to fulfill, although it’s not too late, is that he’d be a one-term president if the economy wasn’t fixed. You can argue about what he meant by “done”, but it’s going to be up to the voters to decide that.

*“Look, I’m at the start of my administration. One nice thing about the situation I find myself in is that I will be held accountable. You know, I’ve got four years,” Obama told The Today Show’s Matt Lauer on February 1, 2009.

“A year from now I think people are going to see that we’re starting to make some progress," said Obama. "But there’s still going to be some pain out there. If I don’t have this done in three years, then there’s going to be a one-term proposition.”*

Actually, I cut Obama some slack on that. It was a really stupid thing for a politician to say, but it was still relatively early in the downturn, and we really didn’t know how bad it was. Note to self: never offer the suggestion, under any circumstances, that you might be a one term president. Wouldn’t be prudent. And it gives your opponent(s) a nice little soundbite to run in campaign ads in the fall.

Obama has broadly worked to do what I wanted him to do: Work on the economy, pass health care reform, work on immigration, draw down in Iraq, focus on Afghanistan and put real pressure on Pakistan. I couldn’t tell you about any specific promises because I never followed chapter and verse on them, I just had broad goals I wanted to see work towards. He hasn’t been perfect (of course) but I wouldn’t have expected McCain to do better.

I agree that, all in all, he’s been a pretty good president. I never expected him to fix the economy-- I don’t even know if a president can realistically do that. I wish he had been a better president, but until and unless the GOP selects someone demonstrably better, it’s kind of a moot point.

And as much as I think Romney would probably be an OK president, I don’t trust him to be able to keep a lid on the nut jobs in his party. I would be very, very uneasy about a GOP House, Presidency, and de facto Senate (due to the filibuster).

Back off Federal harassment of Medical Marijuana State situations. Extremely nope.

That’s true, he’s only cut it by 30% so far. Not terrible considering he can’t really get anything past the House, but not as good as it would have been if the Grand Bargain had been reached.

Of course, if the GOP doesn’t compromise on the tax cut extension then they all expire and we’ll be very close to the 50% deficit reduction for 2013.

As to unemployment, I still think 8% is a pretty good benchmark. I think if it’s below that in November, Obama wins. If it’s where it is now it’s a coin flip. If it goes up, he loses.

Here’s a complete tally.

This, I didn’t know:

LBJ got his programs through because he had huge majorities in Congress. Give Obama 68 Senators and 295 Representatives, and he’d get more done to. Arm twisting doesn’t enter into it.

Ouch, he shouldn’t have said that.

It’s a little aggravating, though, that the people who prevented him from fixing the economy in the first place are now using his failure to fix the economy against him.