Did you get a flu shot this year? Did you get the flu?

I have never had the flu in my 35 years. I have received about 3 flu shots.

I don’t like needles and the Flu feels kind of hypothetical since I have never had it nor been around anyone that has had it.

I am sure if I ever do get it, then I will probably get more annual flu shots.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been getting the shot regular since I was in college, 1998. Have not gotten the flu in that time.

Granted, I have worked from home in that time as well. I’m not sure if that makes me more susceptible or less (around fewer people but also around fewer things to boost my immune system).

I got the Senior Citizen version of the flu shot (which I believe is stronger than the regular version). I might have gotten a very mild case of the flu (felt like I had a cold but with some minor digestive issues).

LA LA LA LA. I can’t hear you! :cool:

No shot, no flu. But I’ve been sick with cold symptoms for 4 weeks total so far this year. :mad:

Man, I just got over a nasty virus that turned into bronchitis and laryngitis. I am still on meds and coughing and coughing. But it wasn’t flu , they swabbed me 2 different days. Apparently you can test one day and be negative the next day positive. I neglected to get the shot, I am type 1 diabetic, not getting the shot is inexcusable. Dr. said as soon as I am symptom free, I should get it. Flu season is in full swing around these parts.

got the shot, haven’t got the flu. luckily I work in a small group who are considerate enough to stay home when sick, so I’m not as potentially exposed as if I was around a bunch of people all day.

I was one of those “oh, I’ve never had the flu” people. but thinking back about 3-4 years, there was one where I thought I had a cold (general blah, joint and muscle sensitivity) but ran a 103°F temperature.

that was probably actually the flu.

I had the flu once. Do not want again.

If you get the flu, the real flu, the disease that the shot helps protect against, you know it. You have fever, chills, cough, shortness of breath, and you ache all over, and you do it for days. You don’t have it for 24 hours, but closer to 240 hours. You don’t get it in your stomach. If it stays in your head, it’s a cold, not the flu. Flu goes to the lungs.

You don’t want the flu. Get the shot.

I don’t think I’ve ever had the flu. Up until last year, or maybe the year before, I never bothered with the shots, either. But I’m in my 60s now and maybe older and wiser, or older and more cautious, or older and ain’t gonna take any chances!

My arm was sore for 3 or 4 days after the shot, but so far, so good.

Got the shot, have not yet gotten the flu. But the season’s not over yet.

People who think they don’t have to worry about influenza because of their allegedly superior immune systems need to read up on cytokine storm.

I think I’ve had maybe two colds in the last ten years or so, and (crosses fingers and makes voodoo signs) not had the flu ever. I improve my odds the best I can by doing frequent hand washing/sanitizing (well, it’s an informal job requirement), getting an annual flu shot (a formal job requirement but I’d do it anyway) and being a practicing pathogen paranoiac (avoiding crowds and public gatherings when possible, especially during the peak transmission season).*

*Holding one’s breath when approaching coughing, sneezing or germy-appearing people in public in indoor settings is probably overdoing it, but it’s reassuring to a germophobe.

Depends. I hear this all the time, but the one time I had a confirmed flu (no shot that year, but I’ve been good since) it was just like a bad head cold with a fever and some body aches. I was still able to function. I’m sure the severity varies by strain and individual.

The 1918 flu epidemic hit the healthiest people, actually, not the ones with weak immune systems. Just sayin’.

Got the shot and didn’t get the flu.

This is how I knew I had the flu. In the past, I’ve gotten bad, bad colds and always wondered “is this the flu?” I will never wonder again. A couple weeks ago, I was achy in every bone and muscle. My skin felt raw and chilled. Killer headache but no nasal congestion or runny nose. Dry hacking cough with no phlegm or wetness. Fatigued-- more than just sleepy (although I slept for more than 12 hours every day), but a deep fatigue in my muscles. No sore throat or ear ache. No diarrhea or vomiting. Those aren’t influenza symptoms even though a lot of people associate them with the flu. I couldn’t take a deep breath for days. I was always winded. It was brutal. There was no doubt in my mind that was the flu, and the doctor confirmed it with a nasal swab. Got on Tamiflu, bing, bang, boom, I was better in six days. The cough lingers slightly, and it’s still kinda hard to take a deep breath at times, but much better after the Tamiflu.

I will always know the symptoms as soon as they hit now, and will always go in for Tamiflu. I will also always get my flu shot in October instead of February from now on.

I get the vaccine every year, I got the flu at Christmas, it was gone in about three or four days. My daughter, who also had the shot at the same time I did, also got a milder case.

No shot, ever and no flu, ever (that I know of anyway). I’m in my mid 50’s, so getting to the age where I may want to start getting the shot annually.

I’m allergic to the vaccine so I didn’t get it. I haven’t gotten the flu but I did have a bad cold one month ago.

I get the shot but don’t know whether I get the flu or not. I’m often sniffly but pretty much never debilitated, so who knows?

Mrs C and I both got our annual flu shots. For the first time ever, we both got the flu anyway, our symptoms appearing within 12 hours of each other. Worst flu either of us has ever experienced, by far. Flattened us.

I am very seldom sick. I think I’ve missed 2 days in a row or more only 3 times in the past 20 years. I always get my flu shot. I have a SIL with lupus and a co-worker whose immune system was compromised by chemo. Furthermore, I have had the flu three times in my life and that is MORE than enough. I’ll be over here washing my hands, stocking up on Kleenex, and avoiding all the coughing people. Yeah, we are wiping down our office machines and communal surfaces every day. The last time I got really sick, it was a nasty respiratory infection that left some permanent breathing problems. Flu on top of that might land me in the hospital. Pass, thanks.