Digital Cable Wierdness

Prompted by the Satellite vs. Cable thread http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=57744 I have a question I hope someone can answer. Ever since I “upgraded” to digital cable, from regular (analog?), I have had a strange, and annoying as hell, problem. I am on AT&T - which recently bought our old company, MediaOne - and I have a 25" Zenith that’s a few years old (don’t know exactly). When I am using the cable remote to check the Program Guide, using the guide scroll keys, the TV will switch from channel 3 to something else, thus interrupting the cable. A quick Last Channel, from a 3rd party remote programmed for the TV sets things right. But, jeez, this is really a pain in the ass. The AT&T folks have swapped out my remote a couple times, but the result is the same. I’m about ready to tell AT&T to give me back my old analog service. One reason for stalling, the digital package, with more channels, is less than the analog pack I was on, and I gotta go to the top end package to get SciFi, and someother favs.

By the way, I think the Program Guide on digital really sux, the analog guide was mucho better.

What happens if you turn off the cable box, leave the TV on, and press the button on the remote? Does it change the channel on the TV? I’m thinking that the signal that the cable remote puts out for the guide scroll keys is the same one that the TV is expecting for the channel change. If that’s the case, I don’t know how you can possibly fix that, other than getting a new TV. :frowning:

SmackFu - hadn’t tried that experiment …
You are right, the guide buttons seem to sporadically control the TV.

Wonderful.

I work for AOL Time Warner, even though I’ve only been there for a year, I’ve learned a lot since I’ve been in the I.S. department. I’ll have to agree with the previous post saying that your television is “accepting” the guide selections as channel-change requests. If you don’t mind turning off your TV manually, I would suggest a little piece of electrical tape over the infrared sensor of the television set. Sorry I couldn’t be of more help.