Dio, you are just wrong.

You’re coercing me!

Link me to a post where someone said that setting someone up on a date is the same thing as arranging a marriage.

I’ll wait.

With disownership there is a mandatory 10% restocking fee.

But why is it we park in a driveway and drive on a parkway?:confused:?

Still gutless.

It’s all over this thread and the last one. Start with the OP.

Oh, you mean this post:

Since you’re too dumb/lazy to make a link, how about you just quote this post and bold the part where the OP says arranged marriages and setting someone up on a date are the exact same thing? (It’s the [noparse]****[/noparse] tags.)

She said it in the other thread then. Whatever.

For the record, my post was said in direct response to this post by Freudian Slit:

To which I said, “setting people up on dates is not arranging a marriage.”

even sven has also (in both threads) compared it to online dating and matchmaking, as has ZPG.

Has either side bothered to lay down their definition of “arranged marriage” yet? That may help clear things up.

To my mind, the distinguishing characteristics of an arranged marriage are:

1. The partners are chosen on the basis of something other than love (distinguishing it from a love marriage)
  2. Marriage is the deliberate purpose of their relationship (distinguishing it from a shotgun wedding, drunken mistake in Vegas, etc.)

Let me spell it out for you: you aren’t contributing anything to the conversation if you just sit back and respond to people’s arguments and analogies with “no, that’s different”. Your statement by itself is meaningless, because no one is postulating the thing you’re actually saying. But the obvious implication behind your statement is that the situations you’re responding to are fundamentally different in some way such that their analogy is inappropriate. Use your words and explain why you think that, instead of being such a lazy nuisance.

I would agree with both of those but add that the selections (or at least the demarcations of the candidate pool) are done by people other than the prospective nuptial couple.

That’s not what I’m doing. I’m responding to attempts to move the goal posts. You are fixating on one post. No one can refute me on arranged marriage being coercive, so they’re trying to change the definition.

I already have. Read the threads.

Okay, but even if we add that stipulation, there’s nothing in the resulting definition that stipulates the marriage is coerced or rules out the possibility of the prospective couple going on dates to decide if they actually want to get married.

How about:

I agree that the meaning of a word is ultimately decided by how people use it. In fact, I get rather irritated at people who say that the real meaning of a word is the way it’s used by some profession (usually lawyers) rather than the way it’s used by people in general.

But this is the first time, in my 56 years, that I’ve heard the term “arranged marriage” used to mean the process you describe here.

No, I’m mocking you. I’m pretending that I’m you in a coffeeshop, complaining about things that are not as I choose to define them, then about how oppressed I am because I have to order from the items for sale in the coffeeshop, then complaining about how everyone yells at me when I ask for an item by a name that does not denote the item. Then I change the goalposts and complain about how I have to order from the menu in the coffeeshop, and claim that that is what I’m upset about.

I could go elsewhere. I could not order coffee. I could pay attention to the definition of the words as used by the rest of the world.

You ignore the many examples of arranged marriages that are not coercive while insisting that ‘arranged marriages are coercive’. Then you redefine what you said, and what you meant, while still insisting you’re right. Sometimes I doubt you even read your own posts.

I don’t know what you’re on about, but none of this in any way relates to this thread or to my posts in this thread. I’m not the one trying to change the definitions here. If you’re trying to mock me, you’re doing it wrong.

Do you believe that setting up a date is equivalent to arranging a marriage?

What Crotalus described is matchmaking.

There is obviously a wide spectrum of what people mean by an “arranged marriage”.

My brother in law was a shy fellow, didn’t meet women much, wanted to get married. His parents contacted their distant relations in Ukraine, who found among them a woman who was similarly inclined … he flew over there to meet her, they got along, they were married & he imported her to Canada.

I dunno if this is an “arranged marriage” or not; I sort of thought it was. Though obviouisly both parties had a veto on the whole thing, the matter was "arranged’, not by them, but by their relations; the expectation was that, barring a positive dislike of each other, they would be married to this person they have never seen (outside of photographs) … but OTOH both wanted to be married.

I’d add that these selections are restrictive - in that the couple has no or limited opportunity to look outside of them. Otherwise match.com is the biggest arranger of marriages in the world.

agreed.