Disable sound hardware acceleration for one program?

I have one game that only works correctly if I go into dxdiag and turn the hardware acceleration off, but then I have another game that makes horrible screeching sounds if I don’t go back into dxdiag and turn it back on. Most of my other games don’t really care one way or the other.

Is it possible to disable sound hardware acceleration for the one misbehaving program only? I’m getting a bit annoyed at having to run dxdiag before I run either game.

ETA: Windows XP, Realtek HD sound card

Right-click on My Computer and select Properties. Go to the Device Manager tab and, under “Sound, video and game controllers” select your sound card. Right-click and select Properties. On the Details tab dropdown, select Hardware IDs. Copy and post the results.

Hdaudio\func_01&ven_10ec&dev_0888&subsys_14627528&rev_1000
hdaudio\func_01&ven_10ec&dev_0888&subsys_14627528

Run regedit.exe and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI and find and expand ven_10ec&dev_0888&subsys_14627528&rev_1000 and the key under that.

Are there entries under DirectSound\Mixer Defaults and DirectSound\Device Presence? If so what is the name of the key directly under ven_10ec&dev_0888&subsys_14627528&rev_1000?