Discovering Star Trek " Discovery "

Just now diving into this iteration of Star Trek. I’m a huge fan of TOS.

For the most part, Season 1 was fresh and fun and genuine. Season 2 feels as though we are ditching where Michael could have gone and instead are suddenly using this new construct to shoehorn in Capt. Pike and the Enterprise.

Kinda feeling as though this whole idea is getting short shrift.

Purposely not spoiling.

Am I accurate in thinking that Discovery is being pushed aside?

It barely feels like Star Trek, more Star Trek inspired. It is not all that popular but Paramount has stuck with it. So pretty good streamer support.

Strange New Worlds really feels like Star Trek. It is great.

Below Decks is also really fun. The love child of Star Trek & Futurama.

I concur with What_Exit on all points.

Star Trek Deep Space Cryin’.

All of this, yes. If you are a fan of TOS, you’ll love Strange New Worlds and Below Decks is a blast. Below Decks makes me want to watch more of the other series, because they’re constantly making jokes and callbacks to them and I feel like I’m missing tons of those references.

I started Discovery a few times and then stopped, but maybe I’ll try again now that I have Paramount+. …After I finish Below Decks, and SNW when that comes out in June.

Lower Decks.

Totally agree. Best Trek thing in forever.

I watched the first season of Discovery and then gave up. It wasn’t terrible but it wasn’t Trek.

Picard, now, Picard was terrible. Just an atrocity.

Stick with Strange New Worlds.

I gave up very quick on this show, but I’ve heard; “skip to season 2 and it is much better”. So next time I pick up Paramount+ I’ll try it again, but starting on season 2.

Thank you. Whoops.

Really? I liked Season 1 but I couldn’t get through Season 2, and now everyone is saying Season 3 is the best.

I don’t remember where we gave up on Discovery but it just became a dark slog and I’m tired of everything being Ooh so dark these days.

Concur that SNW and Lower Decks are the Trek to watch.

I lost faith in DISCO at the end of Season 1, when Michael decided to side with Empress Georgiou instead of with Lorca. True, Lorca was kind of evil, but he was a good captain who seemed to care about the crew at some level, whereas Georgiou was a horrible, horrible person who never developed any redeemable qualities. But saving her was important for Michael, emotionally, and if the series has a theme, it’s that Michael’s emotions always come first.

3 is probably the best, although like the other two, it falls apart at the end. Be warned, though - it really goes all in with the fanservice.

I had watched the first season of Discovery but only the first episode of season 2. Then Strange New Worlds came out and I found out that I really needed to watch the second season of Discovery in order for SNW to make sense.

I watched the first episode of season three of Discovery and hated it so much that I never watched any more.

After SNW came out, we busted out classic Trek for the relevant Captain Pike episode - Menagerie. It kept me entertained but the ending was so bad. Just insulting to both disabled people and women and also a logical cluster. Still it was useful to know where Pike was coming from (or should I say, what he was headed toward.)

I liked Season One. Season Two not so much. I couldn’t finish Season Three. The long speeches really annoyed me. And being a jillion years in the future; it has no relevance to the rest of the franchise..

Strange New Worlds is what Star Trek should be, but often isn’t: Fun.

That may be why the Millennial/Gen Z set likes it. We’re very big on the primacy of our feelings, often to our own detriment. The show to me really seems like a mirror of modern culture more than a Trek show.

Picard season 3 really is more a finale to TNG. And a lot of fans love it for that, seeing as they didn’t like the ending it got in Star Trek Nemesis.

It works for me because I’ve not seen the other seasons. (I don’t have Paramount+, and only caught Season 3 thanks to people on YouTube uploading clips that wind up covering the whole episode.)

The best things about Discovery were Captain Lorca and David Cronenberg. I wanted to like it but the writers made it too difficult.

I mean if you ask me, the best thing was the giant space tardigrade.

I think it is written by/for people that have had a lot of therapy. Not saying that there is something wrong with people having therapy, but man do they lean on the therapy and the emotional problems.

It’s been canceled. Season 5 is the last.

Our long national whispering and crying nightmare will soon be over.