Disney Fish? Bing Crosby maybe?

There is a fish jumping, and then swimming away in the beginning of “The Little Mermaid” which always sparks the annoying ghost of a memory for me.

He reminds me of another fish, cartoon definitely, Disney probably, and with a voice either by, or reminiscent of, Bing Crosby. . . unless it was Don Knotts.

So, by the miracle of the hive mind, can you help me remember what the heck I’ve been trying to remember, every time this annoying little fish swam by for the last two years?

The only other hint I can think of is that the fish had very thick lips, even for a fish, and seemed to be pursing them as he talked. And he was maybe the narrator. . . or the wise commentator.

Don Knotts played a man who becomes a fish in The Incredible Mr. Limpet.

Don Knotts did play the title role in a live action-animated hybrid feature called The Incredible Mr. Limpet.

DAS LIMPET?!?
I haven’t noticed it myself, but a quick Google search did find a discussion on a Disney fan forum talking about this. Unfortunately, the picture that someone posted had been removed, but it seems the consensus was that the fish in question was an homage to Mr. Limpet.

You know, that fits so perfectly that it’s making me question myself, but it’s just not scratching the itch. And I don’t actually think I’ve ever seen that movie. This fish had a deeper smoother voice, definitely more "Bing"ish. I think. . .

The fish in question is at 1:48 here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4yPDF8ZQNA

The only one that comes to mind right off the top of my head is when Merlin turns into a fish in The Sword in the Stone, and it doesn’t sound like that’s what you’re thinking of.

It sounds like you’re thinking of “The Incredible Mr. Limpet”. Unless you’re thinking of an animation that went with the song “Three Little Fishes”. I have a vague recollection of something like that from the early 60s, and that would account for the Bing Crosby’ish sound.

I vaguely remember something similar in “Song of the South”. Definitely not Crosby or Knotts, but it is Disney. Does that ring a bell?