Disney Has Been Keeping A Secret Known As ‘A113′ And It’s In 100′s of Their Movies!

Nice slideshow of screen caps from 20 films. The A113 even appeared in the Simpsons.

It’s meaning is explained in the last slide. I’ll leave it for you to find out. :cool:

Slideshow

I think everyone already knows that A113 is Disney’s cryonic storage vault number. :wink:

Stupid clickbait title writers.

The secret isn’t about Disney, almost a quarter of the examples are not Disney-Pixar, and two of the non-Disney examples predates all the Disney-Pixar ones*, so it doesn’t look like they started the gag.

I suppose I shouldn’t have expected a clickbait title to actually be accurate, but this seems somehow worse than the usual ‘you won’t believe this amazing connection’ style.

(That’s leaving aside ‘argh, a slideshow’ aspect.)

• Brave Little Toaster (1987) and The Simpsons - the second cap is from Krusty Gets Busted, which is a season 1 (1990) episode. The earliest Disney-Pixar movie is Toy Story, from 1995. The Iron Giant (1997) also predates all the Disney-Pixar except Toy Story. Also, the earliest Disney-Pixar examples are Pixar from when they were a separate company simply in a partnership with Disney.

Better than the Wilhelm Scream.

The non pixar work shows other graphic artists that studied at the California Institute of the Arts. I guess anyone that studied there slips A113 into their work. A tip of the hat to their Alma mater.

I prefer a slideshow over waiting 10 minutes for a huge page with 20 photos to load. YMMV

Wait… there are people in the world who don’t know about A113? :wink:

Actual explanation of the A113 thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A113

Any examples predate “Family Dog”?

That aired in 1993, so the Krusty episode of The Simpsons, at least. Checking into that shows Bird directed that episode.

There are 114 such people, collectively known as the Creativity Restrained Moderates.
I call them the CRM 114.

“Brad Bird first used it for a license plate number in the “Family Dog” episode of Amazing Stories.” That was in 1987.

For a long time, I thought it was just a Brad Bird “trademark”. I didn’t realize others were using it as well.

Looks like Family Dog was the first, beating Brave Little Toaster by a couple months. Interestingly, BLT is one of the few early examples that Brad Bird wasn’t involved with - though a bunch of other Pixar personnel were.

It’d be a real trick if Disney could fit it in “hundreds” of their movies, considering that Walt Disney Animation hasn’t even released 200 movies.